18 July 2005, 12:05
Moscow Patriarchate Synod reaffirms the transfer of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic main see to Kiev is inadmissible
Moscow, July 18, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church at its meeting on Saturday in Moscow expressed hope for a settlement of the existing problems and development of good relations with the Roman Catholic Church.
The Synod resolved that this was necessary ‘for common Christian witness in the world experiencing an offensive of aggressive secularism’.
The Synod heard a report by Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, who represented the Russian Orthodox Church at the enthronement of the new Pope of Rome last spring.
It is pointed out in the background information attached to the Synod’s final document that from the very beginning of his pontificate, Pope Benedict XVII declared his desire to develop cooperation between the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox Churches.
‘Nevertheless’, the attachment continues, ‘despite the promising statements by Pope Benedict XVI, tension in relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches continues’.
The Synod reminded that during his meeting with Metropolitan Kirill on June 22, Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, voiced an intention to transfer the main see of the Ukrainian Creek-Catholic Church from Lvov to Kiev.
‘The Orthodox side pointed to the inadmissibility of mentioning Kiev in the title of the head of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church and transferring his see to Kiev’, the synodal document reminds.
At their today’s meeting, the hierarchs of the Russian Church approved the stand taken by Metropolitan Kirill.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22