18 July 2005, 12:05
Moscow Patriarchate Synod reaffirms the transfer of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic main see to Kiev is inadmissible
Moscow, July 18, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church at its meeting on Saturday in Moscow expressed hope for a settlement of the existing problems and development of good relations with the Roman Catholic Church.
The Synod resolved that this was necessary ‘for common Christian witness in the world experiencing an offensive of aggressive secularism’.
The Synod heard a report by Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, who represented the Russian Orthodox Church at the enthronement of the new Pope of Rome last spring.
It is pointed out in the background information attached to the Synod’s final document that from the very beginning of his pontificate, Pope Benedict XVII declared his desire to develop cooperation between the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox Churches.
‘Nevertheless’, the attachment continues, ‘despite the promising statements by Pope Benedict XVI, tension in relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches continues’.
The Synod reminded that during his meeting with Metropolitan Kirill on June 22, Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, voiced an intention to transfer the main see of the Ukrainian Creek-Catholic Church from Lvov to Kiev.
‘The Orthodox side pointed to the inadmissibility of mentioning Kiev in the title of the head of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church and transferring his see to Kiev’, the synodal document reminds.
At their today’s meeting, the hierarchs of the Russian Church approved the stand taken by Metropolitan Kirill.
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26