25 April 2012, 15:26
Russia cannot have sharia courts instead of secular courts - Fedotov
Moscow, April 25, Interfax - Mikhail Fedotov, the head of the Presidential Human Rights Council, believes the creation of sharia courts replacing secular courts is unacceptable in Russia.
"The creation of parallel judicial systems is impossible in a modern law-governed state. It undermines the foundation of the justice system," Fedotov told Interfax on Wednesday.
Lawyer Dagir Khasavov has recently made threats against people who prevent the creation of sharia courts in Russia. The Yabloko party has already asked the Prosecutor General's Office and the Investigations Committee to take measures in connection with those statements.
"Attempts to force sharia courts on people are only possible in theocratic states. Our state is secular, thank God," Fedotov said.
"Only a crazy person who wants to fan religions feud can threaten people with bloodbath," Fedotov said.
Fedotov said the only way sharia courts can be created in Russia is to give them the role of arbitration courts.
"You can do what you want in the framework of arbitration, but it has to be in line with the legislation on arbitration courts or mediation. We have arbitration courts, mediation, or, for example, a public collegium on press claims. Those who see fit may use the extrajudicial procedures for settling disputes. Sharia courts can find themselves a place on that list. However, decisions made by these quasi-judicial bodies have no legal force, except when the law expressly decrees it," Fedotov said.
Khasavov earlier said on federal television that Muslims in Russia do not want to go to secular courts and therefore should use sharia courts. The lawyer said that big bloodshed may happen if sharia courts are not created in Russia.
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06