25 April 2012, 15:26
Russia cannot have sharia courts instead of secular courts - Fedotov
Moscow, April 25, Interfax - Mikhail Fedotov, the head of the Presidential Human Rights Council, believes the creation of sharia courts replacing secular courts is unacceptable in Russia.
"The creation of parallel judicial systems is impossible in a modern law-governed state. It undermines the foundation of the justice system," Fedotov told Interfax on Wednesday.
Lawyer Dagir Khasavov has recently made threats against people who prevent the creation of sharia courts in Russia. The Yabloko party has already asked the Prosecutor General's Office and the Investigations Committee to take measures in connection with those statements.
"Attempts to force sharia courts on people are only possible in theocratic states. Our state is secular, thank God," Fedotov said.
"Only a crazy person who wants to fan religions feud can threaten people with bloodbath," Fedotov said.
Fedotov said the only way sharia courts can be created in Russia is to give them the role of arbitration courts.
"You can do what you want in the framework of arbitration, but it has to be in line with the legislation on arbitration courts or mediation. We have arbitration courts, mediation, or, for example, a public collegium on press claims. Those who see fit may use the extrajudicial procedures for settling disputes. Sharia courts can find themselves a place on that list. However, decisions made by these quasi-judicial bodies have no legal force, except when the law expressly decrees it," Fedotov said.
Khasavov earlier said on federal television that Muslims in Russia do not want to go to secular courts and therefore should use sharia courts. The lawyer said that big bloodshed may happen if sharia courts are not created in Russia.
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24