02 May 2012, 14:54
Gay pride parade organizers demand compensation for ban on parades
Moscow, May 2, Interfax - The Russian LGBT community has contested the ban on the 2011 gay pride parade in Moscow with the European Court of Human Rights.
"The organizers of last year's Moscow gay pride parade on Wednesday, May 2 filed a claim against Russia with the European Court of Human Rights, alleging that the ban imposed by the Moscow authorities on public events of the May 2011 gay pride parade contradicted the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms," the gay community said on its official website on Wednesday.
The claim was filed with the Strasbourg Court by Nikolay Alexeyev, founder of the Moscow gay pride parade movement, and his mother Irina Alexeyeva, the report states. The organizers are demanding 100,000 euro in moral damages.
"In his claim filed with the European Court, Nikolay Alexeyev and Irina Alexeyeva accuse the Moscow authorities of violating Article 11 (right to freedom of assembly), Article 13 (right to judicial protection), and Article 14 (ban on discrimination) of the European Convention," the report says.
The report states that then-Moscow Mayor Lyudmila Shvetsova on May 6, 2011 banned a cultural and education rally organized by the Moscow gay pride parade organizers, which was scheduled to take place on Moscow's Bolotnaya Square on May 28, 2011.
As a result of the bans, the rally organizers decided to hold two rallies on May 28, 2011: on Moscow's Manezh Square and on Tverskaya Square in front of the Moscow mayor's office.
"Dozens of activists were detained by the police and were attacked by extremists. Novaya Gazeta journalist Yelena Kostyuchenko was seriously injured, but the person who hurt her was never prosecuted," the document says.
The organizers tried to contest the bans in Russian courts, but to no avail. The Moscow Tverskoy District Court declined the claim on August 19, 2011, and the decision was upheld by the Moscow City Court on November 14. The claimants filed an appeal with the Moscow City Court, but it was declined in early April 2012.
Alexeyev said that "we are not losing hope to get justice in Russian courts despite our claim filed with the Strasbourg Court. In the next few days, we will file appeals on this case with the Supreme Court. If it takes our side, we will withdraw our claim from Strasbourg, and if it doesn't, Russia will lose anther case in the European Court."
According to earlier reports, gay activists intend to hold the seventh Moscow gay pride parade on May 27. The organizers are going to notify the Moscow mayor of their intention to hold the parade in mid-May.
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02