03 May 2012, 16:06
"Helpers of Allah" banned in Tajikistan
Dushanbe, May 3, Interfax - The Tajik Supreme Court has recognized the Jamaat Ansarullah (Community of the Helpers of Allah) extremist group as a terrorist organization and has officially outlawed its functioning in the country.
Jamaat Ansarullah was recognized as a unit of the al-Qaeda international terrorist organization along with the earlier banned terrorist organization Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan.
Members of the banned group have been accused of attacking pro-government forces in eastern Tajikistan in the summer and autumn of 2010, staging a suicide attack on the Regional Department for the Fight against Organized Crime in Khujand in the north of the country, where three police officers were killed and several others were injured, as well as plotting terror acts in the capital Dushanbe.
The court's ruling was supported by the leadership of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan, the only religious party acting in Central Asia legally.
"Organizations such as Jamaat Ansarullah can be created with the help and support of forces interested in discrediting the Muslims in the eyes of the international community," the party's Deputy Chairman Saidumar Khusaini told journalists.
"A lot of organizations have emerged in the world in recent years, calling themselves in Arabic and declaring something on behalf of Islam. However, those who know Islam must understand the essence of such organizations and distinguish them from followers of traditional Islam," Khusaini, who is also a member of the Tajik Parliament, said.
In 2011, Tajik courts convicted 168 people of extremism, including religious extremism. Of them, 135 were residents of the country's Sogd Region.
A total of 158 people were found guilty of extremism in Tajikistan in 2010, and 37 in 2009.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16