10 May 2012, 17:50
China's Tibet to make Buddha statue for Tuva
Kyzyl, May 10, Interfax - A plant in Tibet, China, will make a 15-meter-tall Buddha statue, which will be erected near Kyzyl, the Tuva government said on Thursday.
"It was originally planned to place the order in Volgodonsk, Rostov region, where a 10-meter Buddha statue had been made for the Kalmykia capital city Elista. However, the Volgodonsk plant's price exceeded the total cost of the project. A Tibet plant in China will help us halve the expenditures," the government said.
The gilded statue will be made of fiberglass - a light and durable material.
Tuva Buddhist initiated the construction of a gilded Buddha statue in July 2008. Dalai Lama XIV approved the project, and the Tuva government and republican leader Sholban Kara-ool asked businessmen to assist the initiative.
The Tuva leader made a personal contribution of one million rubles.
The monument will be installed on holy Mount Dogee. There will be a six-meter-high throne for Buddha mediating in the lotus position. Initially, the statue was supposed to be 40 meters tall.
"Designers recommended building a statue of 15 meters for better seismic stability of the monument. Nevertheless, the Buddha statue in Tuva will be the tallest in Russia," the government said.
The monument, which will be placed at an altitude of 2,000 meters above sea level, will be seen from any place in the Tuva capital city.
The total cost of the project is 13 million rubles, and three million rubles have been spent on the Buddha throne. Volunteers started the construction works on Mount Dogee last year. The project will be complete this year.
Sociologists say 52% of 312,000 people in Tuva call themselves Buddhists.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16