12 May 2012, 14:26
Turkmen president opens international refugee conference in Ashgabat
Ashgabat, May 12, Interfax - Ashgabat is hosting an international conference, "Refugees in the Islamic World."
The conference is organized by the Turkmen government, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (IOC) and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. Forum initiator, Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow made an introductory speech on Friday. He proposed to hold the conference at the 66th session of the UN General Assembly.
Representatives of about 40 international and intergovernmental organizations and observers from 21 states, among them Russia, China, the United States and EU countries, are taking part in the conference.
The forum is bound to analyze the scale and nature of the problems of refugees and stateless persons, to define the role of international organizations in their solution and to promote cooperation in that area. One of the forum's sessions is dedicated to the Turkmen experience of handling the refugee problem.
"The choice of the Turkmen capital - Ashgabat - as the international conference venue displays a keen interest of the world in the positive solution of problems of refugees and stateless persons by Turkmenistan. We regard this event as a sign of confidence of the international community in Turkmenistan," Berdimuhamedow said. The national newspapers published his speech on Saturday.
The strengthening of world peace, security and stability are key areas of cooperation on the international scene, the president said.
"We view this forum as a good occasion for a serious exchange of opinions on the solution of refugee problems in global and regional dimensions," the president said.
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill says optimistic about future of Orthodoxy in China 16 May 2013, 10:00
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill holds first in 50 years divine liturgy in Shanghai 15 May 2013, 11:58
- Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism 15 May 2013, 10:16
- Still no hajj warning from Saudi Arabia over SARS-like virus 14 May 2013, 15:07
- Monument to Sts Emperor Nicholas II, Empress Alexandra unveiled in St. Petersburg 14 May 2013, 15:05
- Ivanishvili says will protect gays, refuses to discuss possibility of same-sex "marriages" 14 May 2013, 14:07
- Mayor's Office says no gay parade in Moscow 14 May 2013, 11:53
- Hundreds of Chinese gathered for Patriarch Kirill's service in Harbin 14 May 2013, 11:44
- Kadyrov calls for unblocking access to YouTube which insulted Muslims 14 May 2013, 10:14
- Patriarch Kirill visited historical center of Russian emigration in China 14 May 2013, 10:06
- St. Petersburg authorities allow sexual minorities to hold rally - LGBT activists 13 May 2013, 16:13