12 May 2012, 14:28
Caucasian Islamic Department criticizes Iranian clerics' comments on Azerbaijan
Baku, May 12, Interfax - The Caucasian Islamic Department is concerned over the latest provocative statements of Iranian clerics as regards Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan has always been proud of its religious values, the statement said.
The department called impermissible "the slandering of the Azeri state, the abusing of state symbols and the insulting of the Azeri president by certain Iranian clerics" and said it was an act of interference in internal affairs of Azerbaijan.
"The main goal of these provocations against the people of Azerbaijan and the Azeri statehood is not a demonstration of religious zest, Islamic solidarity, brotherhood and alleged care for the dignity of our people. Actually, it is an abuse of Islam, damage to our stability and incitement to civic confrontation. Such pronouncements and actions are particularly impermissible after the Azeri chief of state had declared that no violence against Iran would come from Azerbaijan," the department said.
Azerbaijan did not feel Islamic solidarity when Armenian extremists committed acts of aggression against the Azeri people, it said.
"We regret to witness regular material and moral support of Iran to the aggressor state - Armenia. We did not hear fatwa of Iranian clerics on the occupation of Azerbaijan, destruction and vandalizing of mosques in Shusha, Agdam and hundreds of other holy Islamic places and the banishment of a million of Azeri Muslims from their homes. We repeat that the people of Azerbaijan will never give in to provocations and dirty rumors and will eliminate all obstacles on the way to state independence. We advise Iranian clerics to stop groundless insults, allegations and slander, which show disrespect for Islamic moral, our national and cultural values," the statement said.
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01