08 June 2012, 19:19
Patriarch Kirill calls for dialogue between Northern, Southern Cyprus
Larnaka, June 8, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has called for differences thwarting the unification of Cyprus to be overcome.
"We are deeply convinced that the development of relations between the two parts of Cyprus today must include respect for the religious traditions of one another and the resumption of a dialogue not only at the level of officials but also at the level of communication among ordinary people," the patriarch told reporters at the airport of the Cypriot city of Larnaca.
It is necessary to reduce the level of standoff, confrontation "to ensure a spiritual, cultural and psychological atmosphere for restoring the unity of the State of Cyprus in accordance with the principles which were once set by the United Nations," the Patriarch said.
Before becoming the patriarch, I had visited Cyprus many times, met with the leader of the Orthodox Church of Cyprus and officials, and tried to express my support for the Cypriot people who "found themselves in a divided territory where two ethnic communities once lived peacefully and quietly, in solidarity with one another, and who for the reasons well-known to us took different frontlines," the Primate said.
"Although there is no front today, the island is divided, and what is particularly saddening for the heart of every Orthodox believer, the demolished and desecrated shines in the northern part of Cyprus have not been restored, there is no pastoral care even for the very small Greek Orthodox community which lives there, there is no possibility for the Most Reverend (Archbishop) Chrysostomos to visit his flock," Patriarch Kirill said.
For his part, Archbishop Chrysostomos of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus said that the relations between the Russian Church and the Church of Cyprus have lasted for many centuries and whenever Russian pilgrims would go to the Holy Land, their itinerary included the holy shrines of Cyprus.
The Russian Church has always been beside the Church of Cyprus, he said.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55