09 June 2012, 11:43
Patriarch Kirill deplores north Cyprus being under Turkish control
Nicosia, June 9, Interfax - The head of the Russian Orthodox Church has deplored northern Cyprus being under Turkish control and complained about "discrimination against Orthodox believers in the zone of occupation."
"For 38 long years, the Russian Orthodox Church has warmly empathized with the Cypriot Church and her people due to a wound that remains unhealed - the forcible division of the island into two parts and discrimination against Orthodox believers in the zone of occupation," Patriarch Kirill said in addressing the Primate of the Cypriot Church, Archbishop Chrysostomos II, during a meeting of the Holy Synod in Nicosia.
Despite "sadness over Christian holy sites in the northern part of the island being destroyed or desecrated and the ongoing violations of the religious rights of the Orthodox population, the Cypriot Church is developing actively," Patriarch Kirill said.
"It was with joy that we have received the news about the increase in the number of dioceses in the Cypriot Church, which enables it to solve its daily problems," he said.
The Patriarch credited Chrysostomos II with what he claimed had been closer interaction recently between Orthodox Churches in the Middle East and North Africa in the face of "threats to the existence of our brothers in what have perennially been Christian territories."
Patriarch Kirill said he felt it to be his duty to express support for the Cypriot Church "in this time of trials, to raise my voice in defense of Christian holy sites, and to discuss joint moves to preserve Christianity in the region."
He praised Cyprus for hosting many Russians who left their country during economic and political upheavals in it, and credited the island with having always been a special destination for Orthodox pilgrimage.
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21
- Names of first 159 Nazi soldiers who killed Jews in Babi Yar in 1941 made public 06 October 2021, 12:10
- A cell of the caliphate's supporters has been liquidated in Moscow and the Moscow Region 04 October 2021, 10:20
- America's L. Ron Hubbard Library, WISE Int. added to Russian register of undesirable organizations 04 October 2021, 10:16
- Romanov, Bettarini tie knot at St. Isaac's Cathedral 01 October 2021, 19:19
- Putin not planning to attend wedding of heir to Romanovs – Peskov 01 October 2021, 15:23
- Jewish Film Festival in Moscow dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the beginning of the Babi Yar shootings 01 October 2021, 09:03
- A blogger who took a provocative photo at St. Basil's Cathedral detained in Moscow 01 October 2021, 08:53
- Investigators charge former Ural schema-hegumen with fanning hatred 30 September 2021, 10:32
- Belarus intends to hold separate referendum on death penalty 28 September 2021, 20:09