09 June 2012, 11:43
Patriarch Kirill deplores north Cyprus being under Turkish control
Nicosia, June 9, Interfax - The head of the Russian Orthodox Church has deplored northern Cyprus being under Turkish control and complained about "discrimination against Orthodox believers in the zone of occupation."
"For 38 long years, the Russian Orthodox Church has warmly empathized with the Cypriot Church and her people due to a wound that remains unhealed - the forcible division of the island into two parts and discrimination against Orthodox believers in the zone of occupation," Patriarch Kirill said in addressing the Primate of the Cypriot Church, Archbishop Chrysostomos II, during a meeting of the Holy Synod in Nicosia.
Despite "sadness over Christian holy sites in the northern part of the island being destroyed or desecrated and the ongoing violations of the religious rights of the Orthodox population, the Cypriot Church is developing actively," Patriarch Kirill said.
"It was with joy that we have received the news about the increase in the number of dioceses in the Cypriot Church, which enables it to solve its daily problems," he said.
The Patriarch credited Chrysostomos II with what he claimed had been closer interaction recently between Orthodox Churches in the Middle East and North Africa in the face of "threats to the existence of our brothers in what have perennially been Christian territories."
Patriarch Kirill said he felt it to be his duty to express support for the Cypriot Church "in this time of trials, to raise my voice in defense of Christian holy sites, and to discuss joint moves to preserve Christianity in the region."
He praised Cyprus for hosting many Russians who left their country during economic and political upheavals in it, and credited the island with having always been a special destination for Orthodox pilgrimage.
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev forcibly taken to mental hospital 12 May 2020, 19:07
- Annual Jewish parade to commemorate the end of epidemic will be held online 12 May 2020, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion opposes Stalin's mosaic portrait at Russia's Armed Forces main church 12 May 2020, 10:26
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls it symbolic that global struggle against coronavirus coincides with jubilee of the Victory 08 May 2020, 16:09
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov hospitalized with suspected coronavirus 08 May 2020, 15:27
- "Jewish" Victory Day won't be postponed because of coronavirus 07 May 2020, 17:54
- Tradition to celebrate birthdays with homeless people appeared in Moscow during the pandemic 07 May 2020, 17:51
- Police open criminal case into deaths of dogs from nunnery shelter near Tula 07 May 2020, 12:31