09 June 2012, 16:48
Patriarch Kirill wishes peace to Cyprus Orthodox Christians, Muslims
Paralimni (Cyprus), June 9, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has promised to the people of Cyprus to promote the settlement of the issue of Cyprus division.
"When the Church does important things such as peacekeeping, it does not just enter politics as some ordinary secular force, it aspires to bring morals into politics as well," Patriarch Kirill said after serving a prayer in the Metropolitan St. George Cathedral in Paralimni, Cyprus.
The Patriarch said injustice, including in relations between peoples, "stings Christians' hearts."
"I assure you that the Russian Church, which adheres to peace and justice, will conduct its peacekeeping service, including looking at the devastated city of Famagusta (Cypriot city occupied by Turks in 1974)," the Patriarch said.
Patriarch Kirill wishes that the Famagusta refugees' hopes for a divine liturgy to be served in St. Nicholas Cathedral in Famagusta will become a reality soon.
Before Paralimni, the patriarch visited the Derinia District, where he looked at the city from a watchtower.
Paralimni and Famagusta are located several kilometers away from each other.
"We will pray for peace and justice to be established between the peoples of the Eastern Mediterranean. We will pray for Orthodox Christians and Muslims to live near each other in mutual respect, at least like it was in 1972. I saw it with my own eyes," Patriarch Kirill said.
Patriarch Kirill said he visited this place 40 years ago when he was an archimandrite and was accompanying the now deceased Patriarch Pimen and still remembers the flourishing Famagusta.
"When I look at Famagusta now, I see a different picture: a desolate city, a ghost city, a city with no life. I understand how this hurts every person on Cyprus. It hurts those who were born and lived in these places the most," he said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14