13 June 2012, 13:32
St. Lazarus' relics brought to Moscow from Cyprus
Moscow, June 13, Interfax, - A delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church led by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia brought part of the relics of St. Lazarus given to Russia by the Church of Cyprus to the Vnukovo-3 airport on Monday evening.
The Patriarch and the clergy served a prayer service near the arc containing the holy relics at the airport.
The holy relics were then given to Archbishop of Istra Arseniy, who will take them to the Moscow Zachatyesky Monastery, where they will be put up for worship.
The holy relics were given to Patriarch Kirill during his four-days visit to Cyprus. The ceremony was held in the St. Lazarus Church in Larnaca.
St. Lazarus was resurrected by Christ. Pharisees later wanted to kill St. Lazarus, but he fled them. Believers pray for healing at his relics.
The St. Lazarus Church in Larnaca was built in the late 9th or early tenth century A.D. on the grave of the saint, who, according to the legend, was appointed by Apostles Paul and Varnava as first bishop of Kitium (old name for Larnaca). His grave was found in 890 A.D.
In the period between the thirteenth century through the sixteenth century, the church was owned by a Catholic community. It was used as a mosque for a short time during the Ottoman rule. It was bought by an Orthodox community in 1589.
The church has 19th century silver icon setting, which was given to the church by Russian pilgrims, and the church museum has a lot of church implements, which was also received as a gift. The 1970 fire destroyed almost all of the internal furnishings of the church. Human remains that were later identified as St. Lazarus' relics were found inside the church.
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22