18 June 2012, 16:08
Russia's Council of Muftis protests court ban of Islamic books
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - The Russia's Council of Muftis has expressed its protest against an Orenburg court ruling with respect to Islamic books.
"On March 26, 2012, Judge A.V. Nuzhdin at the Leninsky District Court in Orenburg granted a prosecutor's request to ban 65 book titles of theological and historical content from all Russian Islamic publishing houses," the Mufties Council said in a statement.
A copy of the ruling effective as of April 2012 was produced to book retailers at a recent Islamic book fair in Kazan.
"The prosecutor and judge at the Leninsky District Court in Orenburg, having failed to invite a single author, translator or publisher to act as a defendant at the hearings, made a behind-the-scenes decision that jeopardizes Muslims' loyalty to our state!" the statement said.
The ban of religious literature is an attempt to revive "total ideological control," the council said.
"Russian Muslims are convinced that determining a list of extremist religious literature is an internal affair of every religious organization and it is at this level that such decisions should be made. Decisions on whether to put religious literature on the list of extremist material require an expert opinion from Russian religious organizations, for which purpose boards of experts have been set up and are operating, including experts on religious literature," the document said.
There needs to be a legal framework for dealing with organizations which violate the effective laws, "instead of making the religious literature responsible for the existing socio-political problems," the Mufties Council said.
Very often, decisions to put Islamic literature on the list of extremist material are based on "expert opinions that are not always objective, substantiated and comprehensive," Russian Muftis said.
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06
- Contact Group on Ukraine reaffirms commitment to ceasefire ahead of Easter 13 April 2017, 12:13
- The Russian Church and the Catholic Church should stop confrontation between East and West - patriarch at the meeting with the Italian president 13 April 2017, 10:43
- Volgodonsk bishop took out a rucksack with supposed "bomb" from the church and conveyed it to the ministry for emergency situations 12 April 2017, 17:03