18 June 2012, 16:08
Russia's Council of Muftis protests court ban of Islamic books
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - The Russia's Council of Muftis has expressed its protest against an Orenburg court ruling with respect to Islamic books.
"On March 26, 2012, Judge A.V. Nuzhdin at the Leninsky District Court in Orenburg granted a prosecutor's request to ban 65 book titles of theological and historical content from all Russian Islamic publishing houses," the Mufties Council said in a statement.
A copy of the ruling effective as of April 2012 was produced to book retailers at a recent Islamic book fair in Kazan.
"The prosecutor and judge at the Leninsky District Court in Orenburg, having failed to invite a single author, translator or publisher to act as a defendant at the hearings, made a behind-the-scenes decision that jeopardizes Muslims' loyalty to our state!" the statement said.
The ban of religious literature is an attempt to revive "total ideological control," the council said.
"Russian Muslims are convinced that determining a list of extremist religious literature is an internal affair of every religious organization and it is at this level that such decisions should be made. Decisions on whether to put religious literature on the list of extremist material require an expert opinion from Russian religious organizations, for which purpose boards of experts have been set up and are operating, including experts on religious literature," the document said.
There needs to be a legal framework for dealing with organizations which violate the effective laws, "instead of making the religious literature responsible for the existing socio-political problems," the Mufties Council said.
Very often, decisions to put Islamic literature on the list of extremist material are based on "expert opinions that are not always objective, substantiated and comprehensive," Russian Muftis said.
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02