18 June 2012, 18:03
Moscow lawyers refuse to oust pro-Sharia attorney
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - The Moscow Lawyers' Chamber has definitively refused to annul the attorney status of a man who became embroiled in a scandal several weeks ago by suggesting that Sharia courts be set up in Moscow to tackle problems of the local Muslim community, the troublemaker's defense lawyer said.
The Chamber's board issued a "definitive" verdict upholding a decision by the Chamber's qualification commission last week to preserve Dagir Khasavov's attorney status, Sergey Belyak told Interfax.
The Chamber's move threw out a demand from the Justice Ministry that Khasavov be stripped of his status as a lawyer. Belyak said the Justice Ministry would be unable to appeal the Chamber's dictum.
However, proceedings launched against Khasavov by the prosecution service, which accuses him of incitement of hatred, "are continuing and going at their own pace," Belyak said.
Khasavov said in an interview with REN TV on April 24 that Muslims in Russia do not wish to go to secular courts and therefore should use sharia courts. Otherwise, "there will be bloodshed in Moscow and it will turn into a dead sea," he said.
The Prosecutor General's Office qualified Khasavov's statements as extremist and responded with an incitement of hatred action, while the Justice Ministry demanded that the Moscow Lawyers' Chamber deprive the lawyer of his attorney status.
Khasavov himself left Russia in a hurry after that and claimed that his words had been misrepresented and torn out of context.
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12
- FJCR considers departure from traditional values the main reason for demographic decline of Jewish population after the war 27 December 2021, 12:14
- FJCR believes that mutual assistance has become the main social trend of 2021 27 December 2021, 12:03
- The head of the Russian Investigative Committee discussed the importance of spirituality in life and work with Mireille Mathieu 27 December 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill believes that modern cinema promotes the upbringing of an "old" person 27 December 2021, 11:54
- Russian Church to defrock priest Stremsky convicted of child abuse 24 December 2021, 18:21
- Orenburg priest gets 21 years in penal colony for violence against children 24 December 2021, 14:11
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers not to identify vaccination QR codes as 'Antichrist's marks' 24 December 2021, 10:19
- Insulting others not tantamount to freedom of creativity – Putin 23 December 2021, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill worried by tightening control over people's privacy amid pandemic 23 December 2021, 18:08
- Blurring concepts of man and woman contradicts common sense – Putin 23 December 2021, 17:53