20 June 2012, 10:38
Russian Church to enlighten Chinese and strengthen Orthodoxy in PRC
Moscow, June 20, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate intends to strengthen positions of Orthodoxy in China.
"We're holding a rather difficult dialogue to normalize position of the Chinese Autonomous Orthodox Church. There were periods of flourishing and decay in its history, today much has been destroyed, but something still survived," head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations (DECR) Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said visiting the Khabarovsk Theological Seminary.
He said the Russian Church worked with Chinese leaders to open the churches that had been closed and to fill already opened churches "with the words of prayer so that our compatriots and Chinese citizens can freely live their religious life."
"The Far East is a special territory, its Russia's eastern look out post on the border with the other great state. You should know your neighbor well, his culture, people and language," the hierarch told seminarians, expressing hope that they will be enlighteners of those Chinese who strive to learn more about Orthodox faith when staying in Russia.
Metropolitan Ignaty of Khabarovsk and Amur Region told Metropolitan Hilarion that a new branch was set up in the seminary to train specialists on the Chinese language and culture and asked help in this undertaking.
Metropolitan Hilarion also met with the head of the Khabarovsk Territory Vyacheslav Shport who reminded that when Patriarch Kirill was a metropolitan he participated in church life of the city, for instance, in taking the decision where to build the Transfiguration Cathedral. The governor conveyed an official invitation to the Primate to visit the region.
Metropolitan Hilarion left Khbarovsk for Beijing.
- Ban on adoption of Russian children by gays is Russia's sovereign choice - Russian Orthodox Church 19 June 2013, 13:49
- G8 concerned by the increasingly sectarian nature of the Syrian conflict 19 June 2013, 10:29
- Baptist dissenters hold "illegal religious gatherings" in Uzbekistan – media 18 June 2013, 15:14
- Human rights center of World Russian People's Council asks to recognize Judas and Jesus cartoon as extremist 17 June 2013, 15:07
- Prokhorov opposes homosexuality propaganda ban 17 June 2013, 13:14
- Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan 17 June 2013, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill visits Estonia 15 June 2013, 12:53
- To invite priest to a wedding in "en vogue" in China 14 June 2013, 14:09
- Female painter decorates a church in Volgograd Region on her own 14 June 2013, 14:08
- One of United Russia leaders slams Western criticism of gay propaganda bill 14 June 2013, 10:07
- Man goes on the rampage in Moscow church 14 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says important to preserve interethnic, interreligious peace in Russia 13 June 2013, 18:02
- Same-sex unions may become European value – Russian MP 13 June 2013, 17:31
- Decision to transfer Schneerson library to Tolerance Center is Solomon's decision - Russia's chief rabbi 13 June 2013, 17:10
- Putin hopes that transferring Schneerson library to Jewish Museum will resolve issue (updated) 13 June 2013, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Estonia 13 June 2013, 13:29
- Russia will reject Germany's criticism of homosexuality propaganda bill - Duma deputy 13 June 2013, 10:04
- Russian LGBT leader to sue co-author of bill on fines for homosexual propaganda 13 June 2013, 10:02
- Putin says he, his wife were not married in church 11 June 2013, 20:04
- Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma 11 June 2013, 19:55
- Duma passes bill criminalizing insults to religious believer's feelings (updated) 11 June 2013, 17:45
- Head of Muslim Union of Kazakhstan released after seven days 11 June 2013, 17:42
- Most Russians want propaganda of homosexuality to be banned – poll 11 June 2013, 15:47
- OIC to continue working on legitimization of Palestinian state 11 June 2013, 15:43
- HRW urges Russia not to pass bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations 11 June 2013, 11:56
- Covert Islamic group leader convicted in Uzbekistan 10 June 2013, 16:19
- State Duma to ban adoptions of children by same-sex couples next week 10 June 2013, 14:26
- Anti-clerical rally held in Tomsk 10 June 2013, 10:04
- Monks shouldn't use Internet - Patriarch Kirill 10 June 2013, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00