20 June 2012, 17:30
Court keeps Pussy Riot woman in custody until July 24
Moscow, June 20, Interfax - The Moscow Tagansky District Court has granted the investigators' request to extend the arrest of Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, a member of the feminist punk group Pussy Riot, who is charged with hooliganism, until July 24 an Interfax correspondent has reported.
In his request to the court, the investigator asked for Tolokonnikova's arrest to be extended until July 24, saying she may hide from investigators, destroy evidence and continue engaging in criminal activities if released.
The woman's lawyers asked the court to release her on bail or ask her to give her written undertaking not to leave the city, or put her under house arrest.
"Nadezhda has been in detention for 108 days now, and she has a four-year old child whom she does not see. Another month of imprisonment will be very traumatic to them both," lawyer Mark Feigin said.
Feigin also said his client is insolvent and cannot leave the country to hide from the court.
Having heard the parties' arguments, Justice Natalya Konovalova granted the investigator's request and extended Tolokonnikova's arrest.
The decision can be contested in the Moscow City Court. The lawyers for Tolokonnikova have said they will file a cassation appeal.
On June 4, detectives announced they completed investigating a criminal case against Pussy Riot opened on hooliganism charges after three months of work.
On February 21, several members of the Pussy Riot punk band wearing masks staged an anti-Putin performance at Christ the Savior Cathedral.
The action sparked public outcry. Human rights activists believe that Pussy Riot members deserve a fine for the action.
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00
- The Kremlin called Ukraine part of the Russian world 08 February 2021, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for blocking social networks over foul language 08 February 2021, 12:59
- Yekaterinburg Diocese denies rumors about intention to 'storm' Sredneuralsky Convent 05 February 2021, 15:16
- Yakutsk City Court upholds motion for shaman Gabyshev's commitment to psychiatric hospital 02 February 2021, 20:36