25 June 2012, 11:50
Islamist Morsi's win does not consolidate Egyptian society - analyst
Moscow, June 25, Interfax - The victory of Islamist Mohamed Morsi in the Egyptian presidential election does not signify a domineering of the Muslim Brotherhood movement in the country because nearly half of voters voted for a candidate from military circles, said Alexey Makarkin, First Vice President at the Center for Political Technologies.
"Morsi's win does not consolidate Egyptian society. Virtually half of all voters cast their ballots for the candidate from the military who opposes the Muslim Brotherhood movement. The margin with which Mohamed Morsi led in the second round is fairly insignificant," Makarkin told Interfax.
The political standoff between Islamists and the military will create certain difficulties for Egypt's foreign policy, the expert said. "Earlier Islamists promised to the West to respect Egypt's international commitments. However, there is also another factor such as paths that will demand a review of relations, with Israel, for instance," Makarkin said.
Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi won the second round of the Egyptian presidential election, the country's central electoral commission said on Sunday.
According to the official data, he mustered 13,230,000 votes. His rival Ahmed Shafik, the last prime minister under former President Hosni Mubarak, mustered 12,347,000 votes.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14