13 July 2012, 14:31
Russian Church official dreams of a new church in Dusseldorf, but can't find sponsors
*** He also plans to set up a community for nunnery in Germany
Moscow, July 13, Interfax - A small Russian church in Dusseldorf cannot accommodate all parishioners, a new church is needed, but there is no money on it, Russian Orthodox Church representative in Germany Archbishop Longin of Klin says.
"We hope that we'll finally manage to do what we've been striving to do for over than 15 years and build a new big church in Dusseldorf. Our Protection Church is very small, so we wish to build a bigger church, a true cultural and spiritual center in Dusseldorf," the archbishop said in his interview with the Moscow Patriarchate official website.
He reminded that Moscow and Dusseldorf are fraternal cities and regretted that "it's very difficult to find sponsors."
The church in Dusseldorf is located in a former small Catholic monastery acquired by the Patriarchate several years ago. The convent was intended for eight-ten nuns and today the small church cannot accommodate all the believers.
"Much fewer people come to Divine services than we wish as the church cannot house everyone. We face such difficulties especially on major church feasts, on Christmas, Epiphany, Pentecost and so on. Many people do not come to the church saying they do not want to pray standing on the stairs or at the yard," the hierarch said.
He has another dream - to set up a small community for nuns in Germany and start creating a social service comparable to German Caritas, Diakonie under auspices of the Russian Orthodox Church. According to him, emigrants from Russia and other post-Soviet republics are getting old in Germany and they need "elementary care of Orthodox people."
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57