16 July 2012, 10:16
Patriarch believes new era in Russian-Polish relations will begin with Katyn
Katyn, Smolensk region, July 16, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has called Katyn the scene of a common tragedy of Russia and Poland.
"Katyn is a common grave for Russians and Poles, a place of shared grief, of shared deep feelings. Nothing brings closer than common suffering, if it is understood as common," he said on Sunday after a liturgy in the Church of Resurrection that he dedicated at the international memorial to victims of political purges Katyn near Smolensk.
The Patriarch expressed confidence that time has come to see Katyn "as a horrible symbol of our common tragedy and upon realizing it to stretch out our arms to each other as brothers and sisters who have gone through the grief and tragedy of Katyn."
"I believe that probably from this place a new era will begin in relations between Russia and Poland, through the realization of the common tragedy and common sacrifices," he said.
Thousands of pilgrims joined the Patriarch during the Divine Liturgy conducted in the dedicated church. The ceremony was also attended by Governor of Smolensk region Alexey Ostrovsky and a Polish delegation which included Bishop of Siemiatycze George, the Polish military attache Col. Jaroslaw Navrotek and chaplains.
After the service the Patriarch visited the Russian and Polish parts of the memorial.
The first stone of the church was laid on April 7, 2010 by Vladimir Putin, the then Russian prime minister, and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk.
The church is complete with a set of building for social work with the local population, classes and a hall for meetings and conferences. There are also rooms for pilgrims, a refectory and auxiliary premises. The complex also includes a belfry and well.
The Patriarch has called Katyn the Smolensk Golgotha many times and in the days when he headed the Smolensk diocese he spoke of the need to build a church in the grounds of the memorial.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42