16 July 2012, 10:16
Patriarch believes new era in Russian-Polish relations will begin with Katyn
Katyn, Smolensk region, July 16, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has called Katyn the scene of a common tragedy of Russia and Poland.
"Katyn is a common grave for Russians and Poles, a place of shared grief, of shared deep feelings. Nothing brings closer than common suffering, if it is understood as common," he said on Sunday after a liturgy in the Church of Resurrection that he dedicated at the international memorial to victims of political purges Katyn near Smolensk.
The Patriarch expressed confidence that time has come to see Katyn "as a horrible symbol of our common tragedy and upon realizing it to stretch out our arms to each other as brothers and sisters who have gone through the grief and tragedy of Katyn."
"I believe that probably from this place a new era will begin in relations between Russia and Poland, through the realization of the common tragedy and common sacrifices," he said.
Thousands of pilgrims joined the Patriarch during the Divine Liturgy conducted in the dedicated church. The ceremony was also attended by Governor of Smolensk region Alexey Ostrovsky and a Polish delegation which included Bishop of Siemiatycze George, the Polish military attache Col. Jaroslaw Navrotek and chaplains.
After the service the Patriarch visited the Russian and Polish parts of the memorial.
The first stone of the church was laid on April 7, 2010 by Vladimir Putin, the then Russian prime minister, and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk.
The church is complete with a set of building for social work with the local population, classes and a hall for meetings and conferences. There are also rooms for pilgrims, a refectory and auxiliary premises. The complex also includes a belfry and well.
The Patriarch has called Katyn the Smolensk Golgotha many times and in the days when he headed the Smolensk diocese he spoke of the need to build a church in the grounds of the memorial.
- Police stop unsanctioned action near Moscow church 13 August 2020, 10:43
- Belarusian Orthodox Church head to discuss with authorities possible peaceful resolution to protests (updated) 12 August 2020, 16:49
- Ukrainian Uman expects uo to 10,000 Chassidic pilgrims this year 11 August 2020, 15:36
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Lukashenko on winning Belarusian presidential election 11 August 2020, 10:00
- Tablighi Jamaat literature found in mosques in Mordovia, activists detained 10 August 2020, 20:44
- Some 30 Belarusian priests join flash mob against vote-rigging in election 10 August 2020, 18:35
- 'Main exorcist' of Russian Orthodox Church dies of coronavirus 10 August 2020, 18:27
- "Innovative" church with a dome in the form of an Old Russian helmet may appear in Moscow Region 07 August 2020, 18:11
- Zelensky confirms the right of the UOC to use the Kiev Lavra of the Caves 07 August 2020, 17:57
- Teenage girl dies in Sredneuralsky Convent in Russia's Ural region 07 August 2020, 11:51
- Man who attacked priests with knife in Moscow church gets 1.5 years in penal colony 06 August 2020, 15:39
- Ideologues of destructive religious movements become active in Kazakhstan during quarantine 06 August 2020, 15:14
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57