23 July 2012, 14:32
Muslim Brotherhood doesn't want Libyan scenario in Syria but unhappy with Russian stand
Moscow, July 23, Interfax - The Muslim Brotherhood Islamist group believes that Russia and Iran are conniving to repress the people of Syria.
"The Russian veto on the [UN] Security Council resolution, which implied sanctions against the regime, will allow the regime to keep using force against the people. It is like putting a hangman's rope around a drowning person's neck," Ali Sadreddine al-Bayanouni, the head of the Muslim Brotherhood group in Syria told the Voice of Russia radio.
He said Muslim Brotherhood held the international community responsible for the murders in Syria and demanded they take action to stop the violence.
"It is immaterial whether that is done by the UN Security Council or without it. There is already foreign interference in the Syrian conflict - just see how Iran and Russia support the Syrian regime; is not that an act of interference?" he wondered.
Al-Bayanouni also claimed that Russian concerns over the future of ethnic and religious minorities in Syria in the case the opposition took the power were unfounded.
"We would not want the Russian administration to worry for nothing. Religious minorities in Syria will not be hurt. For instance, the Muslim Brotherhood aims at civil society in Syria. Our goal is a country to ensure rights of all citizens regardless of their nationality or religion," he said.
Muslim Brotherhood does not mind the work of UN observers in Syria, but does not consider it helpful.
"We do not put much stock in UN assistance. We also have little hope that the observers can stop the violence. People have been witnessing continuous murder over the past few months regardless of the presence of UN representatives," he said.
"The Syrian opposition counts on its own forces" and does not want the Syrian scenario to repeat, he said.
"We can do it unaided, I can assure you. The time of the Syrian regime is running out; its days are numbered," he said.
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31
- Washington pledges support for Kiev in struggle for right to have united autocephalous Orthodox church 12 September 2018, 09:53