24 July 2012, 15:49
Kosovo Orthodox church desecrated
Moscow, July 24, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations has voiced concern over a recent attack on the Archangel Michael Church in the town of Stimlje, Kosovo.
"The church was robbed and desecrated. Unknown vandals intentionally damaged some of the church's frescoes. They damaged the paint on the faces of some saints. There was a lot of garbage, dirt and dead birds inside the church building," the department said on its website.
Part of Kosovo's population stays "as intolerant toward the Orthodox Church as before," it said.
"Among other incidents, it can be confirmed by an attack motivated by ethnic and religious hatred, which was staged on June 13, 2012, by several residents of Kosovo's Mitrovica on Orthodox monk Mitrofan, who was then rushed to the city hospital's surgery department with serious injuries to his head and arms," it said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church is deeply troubled by continuing extremist attacks on churches, priests, monks and secular people of the Serb Orthodox Church in Kosovo and Metohija because these attacks expose the absence of effective measures on the part of the international community and the authorities of the province to protect them," the department said.
The Archangel Michael Church in Stimlje was built in 1920-22 and its frescoes were painted by famous Serb artist Uros Predic. Some of the church's icons were destroyed when arsonists set fire to the building in August 1999. The church was desecrated several times in 2004.
A UNESCO-led effort to restore the church was launched in 2009.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58