27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Dushanbe asks Interpol to help catch banned Islamic party leader 22 July 2016, 16:00
- Ukrainian intelligence: Russian special services intend to use Ukrainian Orthodox Church cross procession for provocations 22 July 2016, 15:06
- Non-participation by some Churches in Pan-Orthodox Council was caused by external attempt to cause division in Orthodox world - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 15:01
- Poroshenko regrets about decision on Volyn tragedy and urges to Christian conciliation 22 July 2016, 14:25
- It's unacceptable to use Ukrainian crisis to divide Orthodox Church - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 13:58
- Russian Jews speak strongly against gay pride parade in Jerusalem 22 July 2016, 11:41
- Russia's advantage over West is common moral standings of Orthodox Christians, Muslims 22 July 2016, 10:00
- Tatarstan is responsible for ethnic relations to all Russia - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2016, 15:44
- Patriarch Kirill lays down foundation of cathedral on site where miracle-working icon was obtained in Kazan 21 July 2016, 15:08
- Cross procession led by Patriarch Kirill was going on in Kazan 21 July 2016, 14:18
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia is against exhumation of Jews killed in Poland during the war 21 July 2016, 13:09
- Priests tried to stop clashes of demonstrators with police in Yerevan 21 July 2016, 12:12
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Tatarstan's Orthodox Christians, Muslims to live in good peace 20 July 2016, 18:29
- Constantinople calls it coincidence that Patriarch Bartholomew left Turkey a few hours before the attempted coup 20 July 2016, 11:38
- Berel Lazar criticizes attempts to consider the Temple Mount exceptionally Islamic shrine 20 July 2016, 11:06
- Church urges participants in Pokemon Go not to lose reason and not to turn to pokemons 19 July 2016, 15:24
- Turkey expects Georgia to shut down schools of preacher Gulen accused of masterminding attempted coup 19 July 2016, 10:04
- Russian cathedral in Nice helps relatives of the terror attack victims 18 July 2016, 15:41
- Russia shuts down ISIL marriage website 18 July 2016, 11:12
- Attempted coup in Turkey seeks to avoid dismissals of military officials linked with Gulen - deputy prime minister 18 July 2016, 10:23
- Erdogan's aspiration to Islamize Turkish state to blame for coup attempt in Turkey – Russıan polıtıcıans 18 July 2016, 10:13
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod rejects pan-Orthodox status of Crete Council 15 July 2016, 18:49
- Group of parishioners of Russian cathedral in Nice killed in attack - Orthodox journalist 15 July 2016, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill grieves over Nice terrorist attack 15 July 2016, 16:48
- Russian Muslims send condolences to families of Nice terrorist act victims 15 July 2016, 12:02
- Jewish community of Russia condemns Polish Defense minister of Russophobia 14 July 2016, 10:01
- Nationalists attempt to interfere with All-Ukraine sacred procession 13 July 2016, 16:28
- Lawyer for U.S. pastor files appeal against order to leave Russia issued by Samara court 12 July 2016, 17:22
- Moscow mosque imam charged with public justification of terrorism - Russian Investigative Committee 12 July 2016, 15:46
- Charges brought against Moscow's Yardyam Mosque imam – lawyer 12 July 2016, 14:57