27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Demining experts defuse bomb found in Ingushetia mosque 30 August 2016, 13:56
- Russian Church and Vatican open summer institute for foreign Catholics in Moscow 30 August 2016, 13:41
- New Russian education and science minister calls her main priority upbringing of a moral personality 30 August 2016, 13:13
- Two recruiters of Muslims into Syrian militants convicted in Rostov-on-Don 30 August 2016, 11:45
- Russian spiritual and cultural center in Paris will start working in October 29 August 2016, 18:09
- Investigation into case of student Karaulova accused of trying to join ISIL completed 29 August 2016, 16:14
- Ukrainian priest sets up a world record at international powerlifting championship 29 August 2016, 13:06
- Hollande promises Patriarch Kirill not to give up in the face of terror 29 August 2016, 12:41
- Orthodox believers held a motocross around Moscow with Icon of St. George 29 August 2016, 12:08
- Lawyers appeal Imam Velitov's house arrest 29 August 2016, 10:09
- Mormons mull legal challenge to U.S. volunteers' expulsion from Samara 29 August 2016, 10:00
- Russian Jews will help project synagogues and opening Jewish museums in Europe 26 August 2016, 18:04
- Humanitarian aid to Christians of Homs delivered with Russia's assistance 26 August 2016, 17:00
- Islamist from Russia caught in Bishkek with large quantities of extremist books, ammunition 26 August 2016, 10:47
- Churkin calls Kosovo 'gray zone' in center of Europe used by radical Islamists 26 August 2016, 10:31
- Europe's rabbis at Moscow congress stunned by absence of anti-Semitism in Russia 26 August 2016, 10:14
- Imam Velitov placed under house arrest in justification of terrorism inquiry 26 August 2016, 10:13
- Clergy do not decide to give judgment to preaching by imam Velitov charged with extremism 26 August 2016, 10:12
- Passenger not allowed to flight from Moscow with a liter of holy water 25 August 2016, 18:21
- Lawyer for Islamic party designated as extremist in Tajikistan accused of disclosing state secret 25 August 2016, 18:18
- Azeri authorities call for fight against supporters of preacher Gulen in country 25 August 2016, 16:20
- Samara court orders expulsion of six American Mormons who didn't register with migration authorities 25 August 2016, 15:35
- Gulen-supporting prorector fired from Azeri university 25 August 2016, 12:30
- Cupolas installed on Russian church in Paris 25 August 2016, 12:07
- Immoral actions reduced in Russian Army thanks to cooperation with the Church - Defense Minister 25 August 2016, 11:57
- Russian servicemen built a church of Karelian pine at Khmeimim airbase in Syria 25 August 2016, 10:50
- Barring of Russian Paralympians from Olympics crime against morals - Russian Orthodox Church 24 August 2016, 15:55
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Poroshenko on Independence Day, hopes for development of church-state interaction 24 August 2016, 12:33
- Syrian Christian leader asks Russia to help with release of captured metropolitans 24 August 2016, 11:00
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Erdogan the words of support in connection with a terrorist act in Turkey 23 August 2016, 17:50