27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for Putin-Trump summit to promote world peace 23 April 2018, 15:09
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Identical monuments to St. John of Kronstadt will be set up in Russia, USA and Germany 18 April 2018, 19:57
- Syrian mufti plans visit to Russia 18 April 2018, 12:10
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- The Moscow Patriarchate official urges to pray for not allowing World War III 17 April 2018, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations 17 April 2018, 18:15
- Head of House of Romanov suggests waiting patiently for results of comprehensive analysis of "Yekaterinburg remains" 16 April 2018, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill discusses Syria with Pope Francis 16 April 2018, 09:48
- Lenin should be buried, Stalin returned to Georgia - Kadyrov 13 April 2018, 17:12
- Orthodox believers will never stand in open opposition to state authorities, head of a Synodal Department believes 12 April 2018, 17:02
- Russia rids itself of anti-Semitic image, but Jews blamed for 1917 revolution, Russian Internet full of anti-Semitic content – report 12 April 2018, 13:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls 'Skripal affair' a provocation aimed at weakening Russia 09 April 2018, 17:25
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Russian military in Syria on Orthodox Easter day 09 April 2018, 10:54
- Orthodox church in Kiev set on fire 06 April 2018, 14:10
- Seven-meter Easter egg will be set up in downtown Moscow 06 April 2018, 11:25
- Pope and Armenian president unveil monument to Armenian saint in Vatican Gardens 05 April 2018, 18:09
- Ethnic minorities in Iraq lost hope unlike Syrian Christians - Russian Church official 05 April 2018, 16:51
- Steven Hoking demonstrated the limits of scientific possibilities, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 05 April 2018, 10:45
- Expert on religion doubts that Mormons would be able to build a church in Russia 04 April 2018, 18:45
- Putin thanks Patriarch of Constantinople for supporting unity of the Orthodox world - Kremlin 04 April 2018, 16:59
- Russian muftis have different opinions on Wahhabism ban 03 April 2018, 10:42
- The Interreligious Council of Russia stands up for recognizing Wahhabism an extremist ideology 27 March 2018, 18:48