27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- UOC sues Ukrainian culture ministry over name change 22 March 2019, 19:24
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on Poroshenko to put end to takeovers of UOC churches 22 March 2019, 15:06
- ECHR finds no grounds for introduction of interim measures in lawsuit filed by banned organization Jehovah's Witnesses 21 March 2019, 15:57
- Two U.S. Mormons convicted in Kuban for illegal missionary activities leave Russia 20 March 2019, 20:56
- FSB suppresses operation of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Yalta 20 March 2019, 19:09
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54