27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Patriarch Kirill urges Europeans to follow Christ contrary to public fashion 07 December 2016, 17:58
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25