27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Rights of deacon Mamaladze accused of murder breached - Georgian president 22 February 2017, 16:52
- Over 200 Muslim leaders died for promoting true Islam in the North Caucasus - Pshihachev 22 February 2017, 11:04
- Patriarch Kirill calls Vitaly Churkin outstanding diplomate selflessly devoted to his duty 22 February 2017, 10:43
- Georgian prosecutors, Church could probe arrested deacon jointly - Patriarch of Georgia 21 February 2017, 19:12
- Lavrov on Kiev's decision to block the UN Security Council's statement on the death of Churkin: it's not Christian 21 February 2017, 14:25
- Renowned elder Archimandrite Kirill (Pavlov) passes away 21 February 2017, 13:28
- Priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church attacked in the Odessa Region 20 February 2017, 17:07
- Patriarch Kirill urges to redeem sins of revolution building up a just society 20 February 2017, 17:04
- Russian Church accuses opponents of St. Isaac's Cathedral handover of attempting to "rock the boat" 20 February 2017, 10:54
- Orthodox Church warns Russians against militaristic rhetoric 20 February 2017, 10:01
- Russian Muslims to take care of Syrian refugees and their school in Lebanon 17 February 2017, 17:12
- Georgian patriarch says he has known Deacon Mamaladze for a long time, calls his detention 'strange' 17 February 2017, 10:18
- Before the fight in USA Fyodor Yemelyanenko confesses he fights to glorify Christ 16 February 2017, 16:13
- Georgian patriarch to return to Georgia after surgery in Germany on February 20 16 February 2017, 15:02
- Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman 15 February 2017, 13:50
- Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador 15 February 2017, 10:07
- Israeli ambassador in Moscow hopes Russian leadership to prevent acts of antisemitism in Russia 15 February 2017, 10:00
- Ilia II feeling fine after operation in Germany - Georgian Patriarchate 14 February 2017, 15:47
- The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes measures on banning state funding of abortions in the USA 14 February 2017, 11:53
- Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal 13 February 2017, 19:13
- Georgian president concerned over reports of plotted assassination of Georgian Orthodox Church's high-ranking clergyman 13 February 2017, 19:11
- Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest 13 February 2017, 16:07
- High-ranking clergyman arrested in Tbilisi on attempted murder charge 13 February 2017, 15:55
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- One more UOC church seized in Ukraine 13 February 2017, 11:29
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares persecutions of Orthodox believers in Ukraine to Soviet atheist era 13 February 2017, 10:00
- Sochi rabbi at risk of deportation intends to acquire Russian citizenship 10 February 2017, 18:47
- Syria's grand mufti invites Patriarch Kirill to hold interreligious conference 10 February 2017, 16:59
- Patriarch of Georgia will be operated in Germany on February 13 10 February 2017, 14:49
- Prayer service for peace in Syria held in Damascus 09 February 2017, 10:23