27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06