27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57
- Chapel founded at the site of September 11 terrorist act in New York 22 October 2014, 10:03
- Uniates leader calls UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate the only canonical Church of Ukraine 22 October 2014, 10:02
- Head of the Patriarchal Commission on Family suggests banning Internet and computer games for people under 21 22 October 2014, 10:01
- Russians see more threats from the USA than from radical Islamists - poll 21 October 2014, 14:52
- Archpriest Chaplin to Khodorkovsky: people basing on God's law instead of oligarchs and West will determine Russia's future 21 October 2014, 14:49
- Church arson reported in Ukraine's Chernigov Region 21 October 2014, 14:00
- Russian Jewish community sets example for Europe - Rabbi Lazar 21 October 2014, 11:42
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02
- Eight Hizb ut-Tahrir figures arrested in Kazan 16 October 2014, 10:01
- Kazakhstan outlaws Al-Takfir wa al-Hijra 15 October 2014, 12:14
- Putin accuses human rights defenders of ignoring the persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 October 2014, 10:11
- Monument to Nicholas II to open in Belgrade 14 October 2014, 14:26
- Serbian Ambassador criticizes the West for lack of attention to the problem of destroying churches in Kosovo 14 October 2014, 13:43
- It is time to begin developing a system of Islamic education within the country's religious institutions - FSB chief 14 October 2014, 12:54
- Patriarch Kirill asks Iraq president to protect Christians 14 October 2014, 10:05
- Schismatics occupy church in Ternopol Region of Ukraine 14 October 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate urges to stop violence and threats against canonical Ukrainian Church 13 October 2014, 17:05