27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Sounds of explosions accompany church consecration in Donbass 24 July 2014, 16:28
- Islamist sentenced in Uzbekistan 23 July 2014, 13:40
- Moscow worried by persecution of religious minorities in Iraq - Foreign Ministry statement 23 July 2014, 10:31
- Banner with the Savior on it consecrated for home guards army in Donetsk church 22 July 2014, 16:30
- Islamists recruiting rebels to combat in Syria sentenced in Kazakhstan 22 July 2014, 16:07
- Russian Church calls on people responsible for plane crash in Ukraine to say truth before God, people 22 July 2014, 13:26
- Fight with Armenian priest takes place in Tbilisi near Armenian church 21 July 2014, 16:33
- Donbass won't forgive Kiev murders of peaceful citizens, the UOC spokesman believes 21 July 2014, 15:15
- Patriarch Kirill is concerned with attempts to legally destroy human morality 21 July 2014, 13:32
- Russia poses no military threat - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2014, 10:03
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Russia's strength in long-standing values - Putin 18 July 2014, 17:33
- Patriarch Kirill believes sanctity is Russians' national idea 18 July 2014, 14:41
- Sea Arctic Expedition launched in frames of celebrations dedicated to St. Sergius 700th anniversary 17 July 2014, 14:55
- Support for separation of Ukrainian Church from Moscow Patriarchate weak among bishops - Metropolitan Hilarion 17 July 2014, 10:12
- Russian Church chagrined by Church of England vote allowing women to be bishops 17 July 2014, 10:04
- Russia creates system to monitor inter-ethnic, inter-confessional relations 16 July 2014, 12:35
- Former Archbishop of Canterbury's opinion on euthanasia makes him an opponent of his own Church - renowned priest 16 July 2014, 11:24
- Rabbi supports program of building Orthodox churches in Moscow 15 July 2014, 16:08
- Russian church official believes fight for God's truth is going in Ukraine 15 July 2014, 16:06
- Hundreds of children kneel down to pray for peace in Ukraine in Yaroslavl monastery 15 July 2014, 15:28
- Ukrainian Church repeats Moscow patriarch will not attend Christianization of Russia events 15 July 2014, 09:51
- Russia's chief rabbi thanks Putin for support to Jewish community 10 July 2014, 12:09
- Russian Jews concerned over rehabilitation of Nazism in Ukraine 10 July 2014, 10:50
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin urges to learn a spiritual lesson of Brazil-Germany match 09 July 2014, 18:04
- Azeri leader calls for stronger Islamic solidarity 09 July 2014, 17:48
- Russia's Jews point to important agenda of Putin's upcoming meeting with rabbis 09 July 2014, 10:00
- Putin to discuss neo-Nazism, anti-Semitism with foreign rabbis 08 July 2014, 15:32
- Azerbaijan investigates clash between Wahabis, Shiites in Baku 08 July 2014, 14:52
- Moscow Arbitration Court says decision binding Schneerson Library return takes effect 08 July 2014, 14:26