27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Georgian Orthodox Christian activists hold protest rally on Pope Francis' route 30 September 2016, 16:18
- Pope Francis begins visit to Tbilisi 30 September 2016, 15:58
- Israeli policemen to help maintain order at Rosh Hashanah festivities in Ukraine's Uman 30 September 2016, 13:05
- Hearing into appeals contesting ex-Moscow Patriarchate employee's conviction postponed until Oct 5 30 September 2016, 12:52
- Nothing threatens Grozovsky's life in prison, priests visit him once a week - sources 30 September 2016, 12:45
- Aggression of Greek-Catholics should become the main topic in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue - Metropolitan Hilarion 30 September 2016, 11:35
- Hizb ut-Tahrir cell's activity suppressed in Tatarstan 30 September 2016, 10:04
- The USA prevented Ukraine from overcoming schism - UOC official 29 September 2016, 17:52
- Lawyers for former Yukos shareholders announce plans to stop attempts to suspend construction of Russian cultural center in Paris (updated) 29 September 2016, 14:58
- Azerbaijani president calls for fight against xenophobia and Islamophobia 29 September 2016, 10:31
- Patriarch Kirill signs a petition calling to ban abortions in Russia 28 September 2016, 12:35
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has twice as many parishes as two schismatic organizations together 28 September 2016, 11:37
- A bomb was used to sabotage the Congress of Orthodox women in Ukraine 27 September 2016, 15:02
- Bell ringing of the Russian cathedral is spread over the center of Paris 27 September 2016, 12:16
- Red paint poured onto the monument to Holy Prince Vladimir in Kiev 27 September 2016, 12:02
- Twenty churches destroyed in Aleppo during the war 26 September 2016, 15:28
- The Russian Church is concerned with new books containing "revolutionary biographies" of Christ 26 September 2016, 14:16
- The Russian Church official speaks about Vatican's unwillingness to discuss the problem of Greek-Catholics in Ukraine 26 September 2016, 13:17
- Rabbi Lazar urges to learn lessons from Babi Yar and stop terrorism 26 September 2016, 12:14
- Most threats to Islamic world exist inside Muslim community - Kazakh foreign minister 26 September 2016, 11:11
- Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 September 2016, 17:46
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes monks for their passion for luxury 22 September 2016, 16:47
- Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL 22 September 2016, 15:28
- Russian chapel consecrated at a Syrian airbase 22 September 2016, 12:03
- Georgia's Orthodox Parents protest against pope visit 21 September 2016, 14:58
- The Russian Church accuses Ukrainian Greek-Catholics of attacks against it 21 September 2016, 13:46
- Russian citizen who received training in ISIL jihadist camps detained in Tatarstan 21 September 2016, 13:43
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- Renowned German political expert believes Christianity is a foundation of European future 21 September 2016, 10:01
- Some 300,000 Russian pilgrims visit Israel in space of year - Patriarch Kirill 20 September 2016, 14:52