27 July 2012, 19:10
U.S. ambassador to Russia: Pussy Riot performers' treatment too hars
Moscow, July 27, Interfax - The U.S. ambassador to Russia has expressed concern over current criminal action against three women punk rock band performers who have been in detention since February for a scandalous anti-Putin performance inside Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.
The action against the Pussy Riot band musicians is most likely disproportionate to what they have done, Ambassador Michael McFaul told Russian online newspaper Gazeta.ru.
The three young women, who were wearing masks, appeared in the cathedral on February 21. They climbed a pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on "hooliganism" charges was opened. The performers were detained.
Rights defenders hold that the maximum the three women deserve for their minor hooliganism is administrative punishment. Amnesty International declared the Pussy Riot detainees prisoners of conscience.
The three performers were remanded in custody until January 12, 2013, during a closed-door hearing at Moscow's Khamovnichesky Court.
The next hearing is due on July 30.
McFaul expressed anxiety in his gazeta.ru interview at allegations by Russian officials that the action against the Pussy Riot musicians is in line with international legal standards, and that so is some recent Russian legislation that has been attacked by rights activists.
It is a key international legal principle that punishment must be commensurable with the crime it has been meted out for, McFaul said. Moreover, it is untrue that the new Russian law to confer "foreign agent" status on foreign-funded nongovernmental organizations that engage in politics is effectively a replica of a U.S. law, he said.
McFaul said the Pussy Riot affair is giving rise to worldwide concerns.
He said he had heard Russian President Vladimir Putin say he wanted more democratic government. McFaul said he believed Putin was telling the truth.
The ambassador also said the U.S. is making efforts to ensure that all countries comply with democratic principles.
- Archbishop of Canterbury wishes newly born princess Charlotte would resemble Grand Duchess Elizabeth 07 July 2015, 15:22
- Moscow Patriarchate tells OSCE about persecutions of canonical Orthodox Church adherents in Ukraine 07 July 2015, 10:01
- Tajikistan blacklists dozens of Islamist websites, one opposition website 06 July 2015, 10:18
- Young people drawn to ISIS like zombies, for money or out of foolishness - poll 06 July 2015, 10:05
- Rights of Christians trampled in 75% of the countries - statistics 03 July 2015, 15:49
- Union of Orthodox Citizens suggests setting up monument to St. Vladimir at the Kievsky Railway Station in Moscow instead of Monument to Europe 03 July 2015, 14:40
- Russian Jewish community mourns over Nicholas Winton, who saved hundreds of children from the Holocaust 02 July 2015, 20:14
- Imam detained in Kyrgyzstan plotted terror acts, coup - Interior Ministry 02 July 2015, 14:55
- U.S. policy of spreading same-sex family values to find no global support - Russian MP 30 June 2015, 18:09
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04