30 July 2012, 13:17
Islamic action in Kazan held under Hizb ut-Tahrir banners for first time ever - eyewitness
Kazan, July 30, Interfax - The protest against the detention of numerous suspects in the attack on the Tatarstan mufti and the murder of the training division head of Tatarstan's Islamic Department, which took place in Kazan on Sunday, was held under the flags of the Hizb ut-Tahrir extremist religious organization outlawed in Russia, Islamic affairs expert, protest eyewitness Rais Suleimanov told Interfax-Religion.
About 100 people took part in the picket near the Kamal Tatarstan State Theater organized by the Azatlyk Union of Tatarstan Youngsters and the Al-Ihlas mosque administration and believers.
The Tatarstan Islamic Department told Interfax that a two-year suspended sentence was passed on Al-Ihlas imam Rustem in 2009 for organizing Hizb ut-Tahrir activity.
That was the first time Hizb ut-Tahrir members had taken part in a public protest, Suleimanov said.
A similar protest has been planned in the same venue on Sunday, August 5.
The car of Tatarstan mufti, Tatarstan Islamic Department Chairman Ildus Faizov, 49, was blasted on July 19, on the eve of the Muslim Holy Month Ramadan. He incurred injuries. An hour earlier Islamic Department training division head Valiulla Yakupov, 48, was shot dead on the stairs of his house.
Both men were known for their firm rejection of radical Islamic trends.
Official reports said seven suspects had been arrested and a few more pledged not to leave the town. Several dozens more were detained for verifying their possible involvement in the attacks.
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02