30 July 2012, 15:54
Most Russians against prison sentence for Pussy Riot - poll
Moscow, July 30, Interfax - Most Russians (79%) are more or less aware of the punk prayer performed by the Pussy Riot band at Christ the Savior Cathedral in February 2012, and more than a third of them believe that the band members broke the moral rules, sociologists from the Levada Center told Interfax.
Almost half of respondents (53%) believe that citizens have the right to public protest against the Russian Orthodox Church's position on major social issues and criticize it but not in churches, according to the findings of a poll conducted among 1,600 people on July 20-23.
More than a third of respondents (38%) said that by staging the anti-Putin performance at Christ the Savior Cathedral, the Pussy Riot members rather violated the public moral rules than insulted the president (9%).
Most respondents said that the protest was aimed against the church and believers (19%), against the church's involvement in politics (17%), and 15% think President Putin was the main target. Sixteen percent of respondents agreed with all three assertions.
Meanwhile, almost half of the respondents (43%) consider a penalty of two to seven years of imprisonment to be disproportionate, and the number of such people has risen by 11% over the past four months (against 32% in April). As an alternative, respondents suggested compulsory work (24%), a fine (16%) or an arrest for less than two years (8%). Four percent suggested not punishing them at all.
As regards the petition signed by more than a hundred people from the culture and arts industry in defense of the arrested punk band members, the respondents' answers varied: 24% support it, 26% do not. The rest could not say anything about it.
Opinions also diverged on what the church should do in the situation around Pussy Riot: the majority (32%) believes that it must not pressure the court, while 24% on the contrary expect the Russian Orthodox Church to demonstrate Christian mercy. Yet another 17% understand the church's indignation and demand for the young women to be harshly punished.
On February 21, 2012, several Pussy Riot girls wearing masks appeared in Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow. They climbed up the pulpit and staged a punk concert. The action triggered a huge outcry.
A criminal case on hooliganism charges was opened. The girls were detained.
- Putin and Patriarch Kirill chair celebrations of the 1000-year anniversary of Russian presence on Athos 30 May 2016, 11:50
- Italian bishop becomes new Vatican ambassador to Russia 30 May 2016, 10:21
- Baku court convicts man in case dealing with clashes between police, Muslim worshippers 30 May 2016, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Putin for supporting Athos monastery 30 May 2016, 10:00
- Belarus ready to host meeting between Pope, Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2016, 16:30
- Moscow Patriarchate holds the 2nd place in the world for the number of believers among other Christian Churches 27 May 2016, 14:11
- Russia ready to help Islamic world counter global challenges and threats – Putin 27 May 2016, 10:58
- Russian is the third important language among ISIL recruiters - religious expert 27 May 2016, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes unjustified use of English taken words in Russian 27 May 2016, 10:22
- Xenophobia and Islamophobia become main trends in Europe in 2015 - ECRI report 26 May 2016, 18:02
- Terrorists in Syria are destined to fail - Patriarch Kirill 26 May 2016, 16:45
- Putin to travel to Holy Mount Athos on second day of his visit to Greece 26 May 2016, 13:33
- Two Moscow Patriarchate churches burgled in western Ukraine 26 May 2016, 12:15
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39