08 August 2012, 14:08
Kosovo’s Orthodox shrines to be restored with funds provided by Russia
Moscow, August 8, Interfax - The funds allocated by Russia for the UNESCO-supported project for the restoration of the Serbian Orthodox Church’s shrines in Kosovo and Metohija were reported on August 1, 2012, to have reached the contractors. At present, a Serbian and two Italian companies, winners of the contest, have already started the work planned to be completed in May 2013.
An agreement between Russia and UNESCO on the participation of the Russian Government in financing the restoration work was signed in November 2010 at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. The Russian government has decided to make a 2-million USD voluntary targeted contribution to UNESCO for the purpose, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
Russia’s financial participation in the UNESCO project provides for the repair of facades and the restoration of old frescoes in the monastery of the Pec Patriarchate, in the Grachanitsa and Visoki Decani monasteries and in the church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren. These shrines, just as over 150 buildings belonging to the Serbian historical and cultural heritage in Kosovo, were damaged in the course of the NATO bombings and the 1998-1999 armed conflict and the anti-Serbian pogrom in March 2004.
The Church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren dates back to the 9th century. It is one of the oldest churches in Kosovo. Its frescoes created during re-panting in 1306-1306 are recognized as a masterpiece of the 14th century church art. The church’s support frame was damaged by bombs, and the frescoes were damaged and covered with a layer of soot from arsons committed by Albanians by throwing Molotov cocktails. With the connivance of the Kosovo police, the church of Our Lady of Ljevis was repeatedly loomed. The latest theft of a piece of the roof, which took place in April 2011, still remains uninvestigated. As a result of the damaged roof, rain water began to percolate through, thus affected the state of the old frescoes.
The monasteries whose restoration is sponsored by Russia have also been repeatedly subjected to vandalism. The Visoki Dechani Monastery founded by the Holy King Stefan Uros II in 1327 is one of the greatest specimens of the medieval architecture and painting. Extremists attacked it several times with grenades. Though it was under the KFOR protection, the monastery was mortared again in 2007, and in April 2012 there appeared on its walls the signs ‘The property of the Kosovo Liberation Army’, a terrorist organization notorious for the oppression and physical elimination of the Serbian Orthodox population of the region.
- World on brink of third world war - Russian Church representative 31 July 2014, 15:40
- Islamic Party cell leader convicted in Tajikistan 31 July 2014, 14:48
- Situation with freedom of conscience deteriorates in the USA, the Russian Foreign Ministry official believes 31 July 2014, 13:19
- Russia shouldn't make excuses to the USA for building relations of religion, society and state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 31 July 2014, 10:00
- Moscow City Court finds four members of banned Islamic Liberation Party guilty (updated) 30 July 2014, 15:33
- Orthodox Syrian children arrive in Russia for a holiday 30 July 2014, 13:09
- Strelkov bans to use foul language among his soldiers 30 July 2014, 12:29
- Gorlovka cathedral church becomes bomb shelter 30 July 2014, 10:39
- Most Russian citizens think Russia needs Orthodoxy - poll 29 July 2014, 10:50
- Gorlovka Diocese authority premises come under shelling 29 July 2014, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin's former deputy to become administrator of patriarchal parishes in the USA 28 July 2014, 11:15
- Muslims celebrate end of holy month of Ramadan 28 July 2014, 10:49
- Russian Orthodox Church marks Day of Christianization of Rus 28 July 2014, 10:39
- China to close border with Kyrgyzstan for Eid al-Fitr holiday 25 July 2014, 15:10
- Berel Lazar urges Jews to support Israelis by studying the Torah and multiplying good affairs 25 July 2014, 12:24
- Sounds of explosions accompany church consecration in Donbass 24 July 2014, 16:28
- Islamist sentenced in Uzbekistan 23 July 2014, 13:40
- Moscow worried by persecution of religious minorities in Iraq - Foreign Ministry statement 23 July 2014, 10:31
- Banner with the Savior on it consecrated for home guards army in Donetsk church 22 July 2014, 16:30
- Islamists recruiting rebels to combat in Syria sentenced in Kazakhstan 22 July 2014, 16:07
- Russian Church calls on people responsible for plane crash in Ukraine to say truth before God, people 22 July 2014, 13:26
- Fight with Armenian priest takes place in Tbilisi near Armenian church 21 July 2014, 16:33
- Donbass won't forgive Kiev murders of peaceful citizens, the UOC spokesman believes 21 July 2014, 15:15
- Patriarch Kirill is concerned with attempts to legally destroy human morality 21 July 2014, 13:32
- Russia poses no military threat - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2014, 10:03
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Russia's strength in long-standing values - Putin 18 July 2014, 17:33
- Patriarch Kirill believes sanctity is Russians' national idea 18 July 2014, 14:41
- Sea Arctic Expedition launched in frames of celebrations dedicated to St. Sergius 700th anniversary 17 July 2014, 14:55
- Support for separation of Ukrainian Church from Moscow Patriarchate weak among bishops - Metropolitan Hilarion 17 July 2014, 10:12