08 August 2012, 14:08
Kosovo’s Orthodox shrines to be restored with funds provided by Russia
Moscow, August 8, Interfax - The funds allocated by Russia for the UNESCO-supported project for the restoration of the Serbian Orthodox Church’s shrines in Kosovo and Metohija were reported on August 1, 2012, to have reached the contractors. At present, a Serbian and two Italian companies, winners of the contest, have already started the work planned to be completed in May 2013.
An agreement between Russia and UNESCO on the participation of the Russian Government in financing the restoration work was signed in November 2010 at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. The Russian government has decided to make a 2-million USD voluntary targeted contribution to UNESCO for the purpose, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
Russia’s financial participation in the UNESCO project provides for the repair of facades and the restoration of old frescoes in the monastery of the Pec Patriarchate, in the Grachanitsa and Visoki Decani monasteries and in the church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren. These shrines, just as over 150 buildings belonging to the Serbian historical and cultural heritage in Kosovo, were damaged in the course of the NATO bombings and the 1998-1999 armed conflict and the anti-Serbian pogrom in March 2004.
The Church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren dates back to the 9th century. It is one of the oldest churches in Kosovo. Its frescoes created during re-panting in 1306-1306 are recognized as a masterpiece of the 14th century church art. The church’s support frame was damaged by bombs, and the frescoes were damaged and covered with a layer of soot from arsons committed by Albanians by throwing Molotov cocktails. With the connivance of the Kosovo police, the church of Our Lady of Ljevis was repeatedly loomed. The latest theft of a piece of the roof, which took place in April 2011, still remains uninvestigated. As a result of the damaged roof, rain water began to percolate through, thus affected the state of the old frescoes.
The monasteries whose restoration is sponsored by Russia have also been repeatedly subjected to vandalism. The Visoki Dechani Monastery founded by the Holy King Stefan Uros II in 1327 is one of the greatest specimens of the medieval architecture and painting. Extremists attacked it several times with grenades. Though it was under the KFOR protection, the monastery was mortared again in 2007, and in April 2012 there appeared on its walls the signs ‘The property of the Kosovo Liberation Army’, a terrorist organization notorious for the oppression and physical elimination of the Serbian Orthodox population of the region.
- Sberbank chief in favor of developing Islamic banking in Russia 29 May 2015, 18:36
- Tajik Supreme Court brands ISIL as terrorist organization 29 May 2015, 15:07
- Moscow authorities caution gays from holding parade 29 May 2015, 13:49
- Attackers of Russian church and school will be found, German deputy believes 29 May 2015, 12:15
- Tajik OMON commander confirms he is fighting alongside IS for Muslim rights in Syria 28 May 2015, 13:01
- Member of Tajikistan Islamic Renaissance Party punished for polygamy 28 May 2015, 12:13
- Patriarch Kirill among ten Russians, compatriots trust most of all 28 May 2015, 11:12
- Patriarch Kirill's page in VKontakte was viewed more than a million times for the first three days 27 May 2015, 18:08
- Russia answers to the cast challenge with the splash of optimism 26 May 2015, 17:10
- Mass abortions in Russia contradict to international legal norms, renowned priest believes 26 May 2015, 10:08
- Hundreds of polygamous marriages are made in Moscow according to Sharia law every year - mufti 25 May 2015, 18:09
- Moscow Patriarchate church set on fire in northwestern Ukraine 25 May 2015, 15:13
- Moscow condemns Friday bomb attack at Saudi mosque 25 May 2015, 10:56
- Putin says Russian Orthodox Church remains leading spiritual component of society 25 May 2015, 10:10
- Mikhalkov tells how his father did not let Greek monks to occupy Russian monastery on Mount Athos 22 May 2015, 14:46
- Russia has no plans to legalize polygamy - Mizulina 22 May 2015, 12:58
- Church insists on adopting the law excluding abortions from the system of compulsory medical insurance 22 May 2015, 12:47
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of Orthodox believers' contribution to the Victory and urges to keep it in memory 20 May 2015, 15:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin accuses enemies of traditional family of attacking Chechnya 20 May 2015, 10:22
- Polygamy prohibited in Russia; Kremlin not taking part in debate - Peskov 20 May 2015, 10:06
- Belarus seeks extradition of self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate priest suspected of fraud 19 May 2015, 15:17
- Bill cancelling mandatory health insurance coverage for abortions submitted to State Duma 19 May 2015, 10:42
- Dozens of priests leave Ukraine, 19 churches of Moscow Patriarchate seized - Russian Orthodox Church representative 18 May 2015, 18:15
- Qiwi denies participation in Islamic State financing schemes 18 May 2015, 17:57
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 15 May 2015, 17:52
- Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources 14 May 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Cuba 12 May 2015, 10:09
- UOC primate did not stand up to honor ATO participants in Rada 12 May 2015, 10:08