08 August 2012, 14:08
Kosovo’s Orthodox shrines to be restored with funds provided by Russia
Moscow, August 8, Interfax - The funds allocated by Russia for the UNESCO-supported project for the restoration of the Serbian Orthodox Church’s shrines in Kosovo and Metohija were reported on August 1, 2012, to have reached the contractors. At present, a Serbian and two Italian companies, winners of the contest, have already started the work planned to be completed in May 2013.
An agreement between Russia and UNESCO on the participation of the Russian Government in financing the restoration work was signed in November 2010 at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. The Russian government has decided to make a 2-million USD voluntary targeted contribution to UNESCO for the purpose, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
Russia’s financial participation in the UNESCO project provides for the repair of facades and the restoration of old frescoes in the monastery of the Pec Patriarchate, in the Grachanitsa and Visoki Decani monasteries and in the church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren. These shrines, just as over 150 buildings belonging to the Serbian historical and cultural heritage in Kosovo, were damaged in the course of the NATO bombings and the 1998-1999 armed conflict and the anti-Serbian pogrom in March 2004.
The Church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren dates back to the 9th century. It is one of the oldest churches in Kosovo. Its frescoes created during re-panting in 1306-1306 are recognized as a masterpiece of the 14th century church art. The church’s support frame was damaged by bombs, and the frescoes were damaged and covered with a layer of soot from arsons committed by Albanians by throwing Molotov cocktails. With the connivance of the Kosovo police, the church of Our Lady of Ljevis was repeatedly loomed. The latest theft of a piece of the roof, which took place in April 2011, still remains uninvestigated. As a result of the damaged roof, rain water began to percolate through, thus affected the state of the old frescoes.
The monasteries whose restoration is sponsored by Russia have also been repeatedly subjected to vandalism. The Visoki Dechani Monastery founded by the Holy King Stefan Uros II in 1327 is one of the greatest specimens of the medieval architecture and painting. Extremists attacked it several times with grenades. Though it was under the KFOR protection, the monastery was mortared again in 2007, and in April 2012 there appeared on its walls the signs ‘The property of the Kosovo Liberation Army’, a terrorist organization notorious for the oppression and physical elimination of the Serbian Orthodox population of the region.
- Supreme mufti of Syria thanks Russia for opposing "snobby West" 31 October 2014, 10:45
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill likens Ukraine situation with Arab Spring 30 October 2014, 10:01
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Georgian patriarch urges rapprochement with Russia 29 October 2014, 17:26
- Orthodox believers to hold an action "Drink pumpkin juice for repose of Halloween 29 October 2014, 11:54
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- World Russian People's Council suggests to limit entry of young Russians to the countries where they can fall victims of juvenile justice 28 October 2014, 17:53
- Head of the Orthodox Citizens Union urges to throw 'the fifth column' out of Russian authorities and media 28 October 2014, 12:20
- Competitors give up Russian witch protesting against church building to the police in Moscow 28 October 2014, 11:37
- Bans only can't solve the problem of spreading harmful information in Internet 28 October 2014, 11:02
- Promoting traditional Islam values and culture is a priority in the country - the State Committee head 28 October 2014, 10:12
- Rise in ethnic, religious conflicts one of global threats - Putin 28 October 2014, 10:05
- UNESCO experts to consider the chances of restoring Kremlin historical image including its two monasteries 28 October 2014, 10:00
- Rahmon: OIC countries face global challenges 27 October 2014, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill urges to cultivate national soil so that it won't become a side of the alien road 27 October 2014, 11:07
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57