08 August 2012, 14:08
Kosovo’s Orthodox shrines to be restored with funds provided by Russia
Moscow, August 8, Interfax - The funds allocated by Russia for the UNESCO-supported project for the restoration of the Serbian Orthodox Church’s shrines in Kosovo and Metohija were reported on August 1, 2012, to have reached the contractors. At present, a Serbian and two Italian companies, winners of the contest, have already started the work planned to be completed in May 2013.
An agreement between Russia and UNESCO on the participation of the Russian Government in financing the restoration work was signed in November 2010 at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. The Russian government has decided to make a 2-million USD voluntary targeted contribution to UNESCO for the purpose, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
Russia’s financial participation in the UNESCO project provides for the repair of facades and the restoration of old frescoes in the monastery of the Pec Patriarchate, in the Grachanitsa and Visoki Decani monasteries and in the church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren. These shrines, just as over 150 buildings belonging to the Serbian historical and cultural heritage in Kosovo, were damaged in the course of the NATO bombings and the 1998-1999 armed conflict and the anti-Serbian pogrom in March 2004.
The Church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren dates back to the 9th century. It is one of the oldest churches in Kosovo. Its frescoes created during re-panting in 1306-1306 are recognized as a masterpiece of the 14th century church art. The church’s support frame was damaged by bombs, and the frescoes were damaged and covered with a layer of soot from arsons committed by Albanians by throwing Molotov cocktails. With the connivance of the Kosovo police, the church of Our Lady of Ljevis was repeatedly loomed. The latest theft of a piece of the roof, which took place in April 2011, still remains uninvestigated. As a result of the damaged roof, rain water began to percolate through, thus affected the state of the old frescoes.
The monasteries whose restoration is sponsored by Russia have also been repeatedly subjected to vandalism. The Visoki Dechani Monastery founded by the Holy King Stefan Uros II in 1327 is one of the greatest specimens of the medieval architecture and painting. Extremists attacked it several times with grenades. Though it was under the KFOR protection, the monastery was mortared again in 2007, and in April 2012 there appeared on its walls the signs ‘The property of the Kosovo Liberation Army’, a terrorist organization notorious for the oppression and physical elimination of the Serbian Orthodox population of the region.
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54