08 August 2012, 14:08
Kosovo’s Orthodox shrines to be restored with funds provided by Russia
Moscow, August 8, Interfax - The funds allocated by Russia for the UNESCO-supported project for the restoration of the Serbian Orthodox Church’s shrines in Kosovo and Metohija were reported on August 1, 2012, to have reached the contractors. At present, a Serbian and two Italian companies, winners of the contest, have already started the work planned to be completed in May 2013.
An agreement between Russia and UNESCO on the participation of the Russian Government in financing the restoration work was signed in November 2010 at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. The Russian government has decided to make a 2-million USD voluntary targeted contribution to UNESCO for the purpose, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
Russia’s financial participation in the UNESCO project provides for the repair of facades and the restoration of old frescoes in the monastery of the Pec Patriarchate, in the Grachanitsa and Visoki Decani monasteries and in the church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren. These shrines, just as over 150 buildings belonging to the Serbian historical and cultural heritage in Kosovo, were damaged in the course of the NATO bombings and the 1998-1999 armed conflict and the anti-Serbian pogrom in March 2004.
The Church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren dates back to the 9th century. It is one of the oldest churches in Kosovo. Its frescoes created during re-panting in 1306-1306 are recognized as a masterpiece of the 14th century church art. The church’s support frame was damaged by bombs, and the frescoes were damaged and covered with a layer of soot from arsons committed by Albanians by throwing Molotov cocktails. With the connivance of the Kosovo police, the church of Our Lady of Ljevis was repeatedly loomed. The latest theft of a piece of the roof, which took place in April 2011, still remains uninvestigated. As a result of the damaged roof, rain water began to percolate through, thus affected the state of the old frescoes.
The monasteries whose restoration is sponsored by Russia have also been repeatedly subjected to vandalism. The Visoki Dechani Monastery founded by the Holy King Stefan Uros II in 1327 is one of the greatest specimens of the medieval architecture and painting. Extremists attacked it several times with grenades. Though it was under the KFOR protection, the monastery was mortared again in 2007, and in April 2012 there appeared on its walls the signs ‘The property of the Kosovo Liberation Army’, a terrorist organization notorious for the oppression and physical elimination of the Serbian Orthodox population of the region.
- Scientologists in the Moscow Region were searched in connection with dozen thousand dollar income from adepts attracted in Petersburg 30 March 2017, 13:36
- Golden domes from Russia set up on a Russian church in Strasbourg 30 March 2017, 12:46
- Patriarch Kirill blames 1917 revolution on intelligentsia 29 March 2017, 16:41
- Search underway at Moscow region's scientologist center - source 29 March 2017, 14:46
- A newly converted Muslim suspected of plotting terror act in Germany detained in Belarus 29 March 2017, 10:56
- Court orders Sochi rabbi to leave Russia 29 March 2017, 10:00
- First Russian church opened in Cyprus 27 March 2017, 13:49
- Russian Church will include some more western saints in its calendar 27 March 2017, 12:26
- Orthodox believers will celebrate St. Patrick's Day in downtown Moscow 27 March 2017, 10:57
- Origins of West's hatred of Russia lie in split of Christianity - Zyuganov 27 March 2017, 10:00
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11