08 August 2012, 14:08
Kosovo’s Orthodox shrines to be restored with funds provided by Russia
Moscow, August 8, Interfax - The funds allocated by Russia for the UNESCO-supported project for the restoration of the Serbian Orthodox Church’s shrines in Kosovo and Metohija were reported on August 1, 2012, to have reached the contractors. At present, a Serbian and two Italian companies, winners of the contest, have already started the work planned to be completed in May 2013.
An agreement between Russia and UNESCO on the participation of the Russian Government in financing the restoration work was signed in November 2010 at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. The Russian government has decided to make a 2-million USD voluntary targeted contribution to UNESCO for the purpose, the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reports.
Russia’s financial participation in the UNESCO project provides for the repair of facades and the restoration of old frescoes in the monastery of the Pec Patriarchate, in the Grachanitsa and Visoki Decani monasteries and in the church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren. These shrines, just as over 150 buildings belonging to the Serbian historical and cultural heritage in Kosovo, were damaged in the course of the NATO bombings and the 1998-1999 armed conflict and the anti-Serbian pogrom in March 2004.
The Church of Our Lady of Ljevis in Prizren dates back to the 9th century. It is one of the oldest churches in Kosovo. Its frescoes created during re-panting in 1306-1306 are recognized as a masterpiece of the 14th century church art. The church’s support frame was damaged by bombs, and the frescoes were damaged and covered with a layer of soot from arsons committed by Albanians by throwing Molotov cocktails. With the connivance of the Kosovo police, the church of Our Lady of Ljevis was repeatedly loomed. The latest theft of a piece of the roof, which took place in April 2011, still remains uninvestigated. As a result of the damaged roof, rain water began to percolate through, thus affected the state of the old frescoes.
The monasteries whose restoration is sponsored by Russia have also been repeatedly subjected to vandalism. The Visoki Dechani Monastery founded by the Holy King Stefan Uros II in 1327 is one of the greatest specimens of the medieval architecture and painting. Extremists attacked it several times with grenades. Though it was under the KFOR protection, the monastery was mortared again in 2007, and in April 2012 there appeared on its walls the signs ‘The property of the Kosovo Liberation Army’, a terrorist organization notorious for the oppression and physical elimination of the Serbian Orthodox population of the region.
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49
- Attempt made to rob Russian convent in Jerusalem 17 February 2015, 10:02
- Berl Lazar calls for all countries to unite in fight against terrorism 16 February 2015, 17:06
- Copt killings in Libya shows barbaric essence of ISIL - Russian Foreign Ministry 16 February 2015, 13:54