13 August 2012, 15:23
Painter Loskutov fined for "icons" in support of Pussy Riot hopes to get support in Strasbourg
Moscow, August 13, Interfax - Artyom Loskutov, the creator of images of the Pussy Riot activists styled as icons, which were put up in the streets of Novosibirsk, intends to seek protection of his rights in the Strasbourg court. His cassation appeal has recently been rejected by a district court.
"Artyom Loskutov has started working on a claim that will be filed with the European Court of Human Rights with assistance with lawyers from the interregional human rights association Agora. He alleges that Russia has violated his right to a fair trial and freedom of expression," the Agora press service said in a report obtained by Interfax on Monday.
Loskutov earlier told Interfax that Novosibirsk Central District Court had declined his claim contesting the decisions made by two magistrate, which ordered him to pay fines of 1,000 rubles for placing the "icons" in the streets of Novosibirsk.
The "icons," images of a woman in a red coat and a purple scarf holding a baby girl with braids in her hands and the words "SVBD PSRT" (which stands for "Free Pussy Riot") appeared on billboards in some districts of Novosibirsk in March. The "icons" used the image of Our Lady called "Sign," which is very respected by Orthodox Christians, but the woman's face was covered with a stocking with holes for the eyes.
The Novosibirsk Diocese regarded the appearance of the images as hooliganism and asked law enforcement agencies to conduct an investigation. A probe was conducted, but no criminal case on the basis of the article dealing with hooliganism was opened.
In May, two magistrates fined Loskutov a total of 1,000 rubles. Another magistrate acquitted the painter, saying his guilt was not proven.
The Moscow Khamovnichesky Court will give its decision on the Pussy Riot case on August 17. The prosecutor is seeking three years in a penal colony for each woman.
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13