14 August 2012, 12:42
Patriarch Kirill to visit Poland
Moscow, August 14, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will pay a visit to Poland on August 16-19 at the invitation of Metropolitan Savva of Warsaw.
"This will be the first visit by the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church to the Polish Orthodox Church. No doubt, this event will play a central role in maintaining good and Christian relations between our peoples," deacon Alexander Volkov, the head of the Patriarch's press service, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
During his visit, Patriarch Kirill will serve church services together with the head and the clergy of the Polish Orthodox Church. A prayer will be conducted in the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Warsaw on August 16.
The main services will take place the Transfiguration Day and on the Transfiguration Day, August 19, on the Holy Mount of Grabarka, one of the most celebrated holy places in Poland. "Many pilgrims who come to this place every day for the Transfiguration Day will come there," the source said.
"The Primates of the Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches will conduct a divine service there on the holiday, which will become the main event of the Patriarch's visit," he said.
Patriarch Kirill will also visit Polish churches and monasteries, where he will meet and pray together with Polish believers.
"Bearing in mind the importance of the protection of traditional Christian values and culture in modern Europe and the common tasks that ensue from this, the Holy Patriarch and Metropolitan Jozef Michalik, the head of the Polish Episcopal Conference, will sign a joint address to the people of Russia and Poland," Father Alexander said.
He also said the document will call for the development of brotherly relations between the people of Russia and Poland, "in whose life Christian faith plays a central role."
The Patriarch is also expected to meet with top Polish officials during his visit.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28