14 August 2012, 12:42
Patriarch Kirill to visit Poland
Moscow, August 14, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will pay a visit to Poland on August 16-19 at the invitation of Metropolitan Savva of Warsaw.
"This will be the first visit by the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church to the Polish Orthodox Church. No doubt, this event will play a central role in maintaining good and Christian relations between our peoples," deacon Alexander Volkov, the head of the Patriarch's press service, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
During his visit, Patriarch Kirill will serve church services together with the head and the clergy of the Polish Orthodox Church. A prayer will be conducted in the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Warsaw on August 16.
The main services will take place the Transfiguration Day and on the Transfiguration Day, August 19, on the Holy Mount of Grabarka, one of the most celebrated holy places in Poland. "Many pilgrims who come to this place every day for the Transfiguration Day will come there," the source said.
"The Primates of the Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches will conduct a divine service there on the holiday, which will become the main event of the Patriarch's visit," he said.
Patriarch Kirill will also visit Polish churches and monasteries, where he will meet and pray together with Polish believers.
"Bearing in mind the importance of the protection of traditional Christian values and culture in modern Europe and the common tasks that ensue from this, the Holy Patriarch and Metropolitan Jozef Michalik, the head of the Polish Episcopal Conference, will sign a joint address to the people of Russia and Poland," Father Alexander said.
He also said the document will call for the development of brotherly relations between the people of Russia and Poland, "in whose life Christian faith plays a central role."
The Patriarch is also expected to meet with top Polish officials during his visit.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04