14 August 2012, 12:42
Patriarch Kirill to visit Poland
Moscow, August 14, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will pay a visit to Poland on August 16-19 at the invitation of Metropolitan Savva of Warsaw.
"This will be the first visit by the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church to the Polish Orthodox Church. No doubt, this event will play a central role in maintaining good and Christian relations between our peoples," deacon Alexander Volkov, the head of the Patriarch's press service, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
During his visit, Patriarch Kirill will serve church services together with the head and the clergy of the Polish Orthodox Church. A prayer will be conducted in the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Warsaw on August 16.
The main services will take place the Transfiguration Day and on the Transfiguration Day, August 19, on the Holy Mount of Grabarka, one of the most celebrated holy places in Poland. "Many pilgrims who come to this place every day for the Transfiguration Day will come there," the source said.
"The Primates of the Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches will conduct a divine service there on the holiday, which will become the main event of the Patriarch's visit," he said.
Patriarch Kirill will also visit Polish churches and monasteries, where he will meet and pray together with Polish believers.
"Bearing in mind the importance of the protection of traditional Christian values and culture in modern Europe and the common tasks that ensue from this, the Holy Patriarch and Metropolitan Jozef Michalik, the head of the Polish Episcopal Conference, will sign a joint address to the people of Russia and Poland," Father Alexander said.
He also said the document will call for the development of brotherly relations between the people of Russia and Poland, "in whose life Christian faith plays a central role."
The Patriarch is also expected to meet with top Polish officials during his visit.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Imams of Tajik mosques are urged to call for closure of Islamic Revival Party 30 March 2015, 16:45
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54