17 August 2012, 13:00
Pussy Riot supporters put balaclavas on monuments to Lomonosov, Pushkin, Goncharova
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - Unknown supporters of Pussy Riot have put a balaclava on the monument to scientist Mikhail Lomonosov in the Sparrow Hills near Moscow State University, an eyewitness told Interfax.
The balaclava was taken off the monument some time later, the source said.
A photo of the monuments to poet Alexander Pushkin and his wife Natalya Goncharova wearing yellow balaclavas was posted on Twitter today as well. The reports state the protest as organized by the Moscow group Anonimus.
The photographer said the photo had been taken several minutes prior to the posting on Twitter in Stary Arbat, where the Pushkin House is located.
Passengers in the Moscow metro averted an attempt to support the punk group Pussy Riot on Friday morning, an Interfax correspondent has reported.
"A young man tried to put balaclavas similar to those worn by the Pussy Riot activists in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior on the heads of bronze guerillas in the passage from the Belorusskaya Circle Line platform to the Belorusskaya Zamoskvoretskaya Line platform around 8:00 a.m. on Friday," the Interfax correspondent reported.
The man was photographed by two other young men, who, according to eyewitnesses, came to the monument together with the perpetrator.
The men's actions infuriated metro passengers, who dragged him from the monument and removed the balaclavas. The men were handed over to the police by the metro passengers.
One of the passengers told the Interfax correspondent such actions insult the feelings of the people of Russia and Belarus, whose fathers and grandfathers died in the name of the future generations.
Several Pussy Riot punk band members wearing masks staged an anti-Putin performance at the Christ the Savior Cathedral on February 21, 2012. The action triggered a broad public response. A criminal case was opened on the basis of Article 213 of the Russian Criminal Code (hooliganism). The crime is punishable by up to seven years in prison. Three singers - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Yekaterina Samutsevich and Maria Alyokhina - were detained on hooliganism charges.
The Moscow Khamovnichesky Court will announce the sentence to the three punk group activists at 3:00 p.m. today.
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00
- The Kremlin called Ukraine part of the Russian world 08 February 2021, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for blocking social networks over foul language 08 February 2021, 12:59
- Yekaterinburg Diocese denies rumors about intention to 'storm' Sredneuralsky Convent 05 February 2021, 15:16
- Yakutsk City Court upholds motion for shaman Gabyshev's commitment to psychiatric hospital 02 February 2021, 20:36