17 August 2012, 14:12
Pussy Riot trial politically motivated – Khodorkovsky
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - Mikhail Khodorkovsky, ex-head of the defunct oil company Yukos, said politics stand behind the Pussy Riot punk singers' trial and that acquittal would be a fair outcome.
"I think, acquittal would be the only fair outcome of the Pussy Riot trial," the jailed businessman said in an interview with the Zuddeutsche Zeitung magazine, posted on his and his business partner Platon Lebedev's website on Friday.
"I think Church would have handled their escapade in a much quieter manner, but for the text of the punk prayer. The text was anti-Putin and the church hierarchs are apparently fearful of losing close ties with those in power. So, the prosecution is definitely politically motivated," Khodorkovsky said.
"The goal is to teach a lesson to the regime critics. At least, this is the way the whole thing looks like, whichever motives Putin may have had initially. No doubt, the command arrived from above," he said.
"Of course, the women's conduct was unthinkably offensive. However, a negative ethical assessment does not mean the offence was a crime. Moreover, ethical views vary. The reported presence of a car wash, banquette rooms and stores in the same church may hurt someone's feelings, just as well," Khodorkovsky said.
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13