17 August 2012, 15:12
Criminal inquiry started into demolition of cross by FEMEN activists in Kiev
Kiev, August 17, Interfax - Police have started a criminal inquiry on counts of hooliganism into the demolition of a memorial cross in central Kiev by activists of the FEMEN women's organization, the city police department told Interfax.
Police and technical experts have visited the scene. If they establish that the cross will not fall after it is put back in place and be no hazard to citizens, it will be restored, the police department said.
Reports said earlier that activists from the FEMEN movement cut down a cross in central Kyiv located near the International Center for Culture and Arts (Oktyabrsky Palace).
"On the day of the sentencing, the FEMEN women's movement expresses its support and respect for its Russian colleagues from the group Pussy Riot. FEMEN activists have taken down a cross in solidarity with the victims of the Kremlin-pope regime," FEMEN said in a press release.
Photos of the act of vandalism were attached to the press release.
The memorial cross stood on a hill over Independence Square, where the local secret police department, the NKVD, was located before World War II and where executions were carried out.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03