17 August 2012, 15:12
Criminal inquiry started into demolition of cross by FEMEN activists in Kiev
Kiev, August 17, Interfax - Police have started a criminal inquiry on counts of hooliganism into the demolition of a memorial cross in central Kiev by activists of the FEMEN women's organization, the city police department told Interfax.
Police and technical experts have visited the scene. If they establish that the cross will not fall after it is put back in place and be no hazard to citizens, it will be restored, the police department said.
Reports said earlier that activists from the FEMEN movement cut down a cross in central Kyiv located near the International Center for Culture and Arts (Oktyabrsky Palace).
"On the day of the sentencing, the FEMEN women's movement expresses its support and respect for its Russian colleagues from the group Pussy Riot. FEMEN activists have taken down a cross in solidarity with the victims of the Kremlin-pope regime," FEMEN said in a press release.
Photos of the act of vandalism were attached to the press release.
The memorial cross stood on a hill over Independence Square, where the local secret police department, the NKVD, was located before World War II and where executions were carried out.
- Investigative actions conducted in Nizhny Novgorod Adventist community in connection with family killing 05 August 2015, 14:51
- Russian Jews condemn Khamenei's 'direct incitement to terror' 05 August 2015, 10:04
- Every second Russian supports censorship online - survey 04 August 2015, 10:09
- Gay activist faces trial in kilt in St. Petersburg 04 August 2015, 10:08
- Russian Public Chamber reports creation of hotline to fight ISIS recruiters 04 August 2015, 10:04
- New head of Tauric Chersonesos preserve among reasons for accelerating its transfer to federal authority - Russian presidential advisor 03 August 2015, 10:47
- Tauric Chersonesos Nature Preserve in Crimea to be transferred to federal authority, included in especially valuable cultural heritage list 03 August 2015, 10:00
- Former Moscow Patriarchate employee charged with treason to remain in custody until October 31 July 2015, 17:44
- Russia's Muslims expect Islamic world leaders at cathedral mosque opening ceremony in Moscow 31 July 2015, 10:02
- IS militants could include tens of thousands of Europeans - EU official 31 July 2015, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls murders of priest and nun in Kiev outrageous 30 July 2015, 10:04
- Nun of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate murdered in Kiev 29 July 2015, 18:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- FSB director calls for discreditation of Islamists' leaders 29 July 2015, 11:10
- Priest attacked in Kiev dies 29 July 2015, 10:44
- Poroshenko promises no state interference in forming united local Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 July 2015, 10:02
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40