17 August 2012, 15:40
Pussy Riot singers were motivated by hatred for believers - court verdict (updated)
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The Pussy Riot punk group singers, who have been found guilty by the Khamovnichesky Court in Moscow, were motivated by hatred and religious enmity, the court verdict says.
"The Pussy Riot singers colluded under unestablished circumstances, for the purpose of offensively violating public peace in a sign of flagrant disrespect for citizens," the court said in a verdict being pronounced on Friday.
The women were motivated by religious enmity and hatred, and acted provocatively and in an insulting manner inside a religious building in the presence of a large number of believers," the court said.
The court also has found that the Pussy Riot activists realized that their actions during the "punk prayer" in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior were insulting and intended to communicate information on the stunt to a broad range of believers.
"Intending to make the planned actions public and ensure that they drew public response, to draw the attention of the public to their illegal actions, and to communicate the expressed disrespect not only to the clergy and people in the church, but also to other citizens who were not present in the church at the time [of the punk prayer], but shared Orthodox traditions, Samutsevich, Tolokonnikova, Alyokhina, and their unidentified accomplice informed various media assistants and active bloggers on their action," the sentence read in the Khamovnichesky Court on Friday says.
Besides, the song sung by the Pussy Riot was blasphemous from the point of view of the Orthodox Church, Judge Marina Syrova said.
"Once on the solea and ambo, Tolokonnikova instantly connected the microphone to the sound-reproducing equipment and switched on the record of a song, the content of which, from the point of view of the Orthodox Church, is blasphemous and insulting to believers and for priests," she said.
- Patriarch Kirill urges Europeans to follow Christ contrary to public fashion 07 December 2016, 17:58
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25