17 August 2012, 15:40
Pussy Riot singers were motivated by hatred for believers - court verdict (updated)
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The Pussy Riot punk group singers, who have been found guilty by the Khamovnichesky Court in Moscow, were motivated by hatred and religious enmity, the court verdict says.
"The Pussy Riot singers colluded under unestablished circumstances, for the purpose of offensively violating public peace in a sign of flagrant disrespect for citizens," the court said in a verdict being pronounced on Friday.
The women were motivated by religious enmity and hatred, and acted provocatively and in an insulting manner inside a religious building in the presence of a large number of believers," the court said.
The court also has found that the Pussy Riot activists realized that their actions during the "punk prayer" in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior were insulting and intended to communicate information on the stunt to a broad range of believers.
"Intending to make the planned actions public and ensure that they drew public response, to draw the attention of the public to their illegal actions, and to communicate the expressed disrespect not only to the clergy and people in the church, but also to other citizens who were not present in the church at the time [of the punk prayer], but shared Orthodox traditions, Samutsevich, Tolokonnikova, Alyokhina, and their unidentified accomplice informed various media assistants and active bloggers on their action," the sentence read in the Khamovnichesky Court on Friday says.
Besides, the song sung by the Pussy Riot was blasphemous from the point of view of the Orthodox Church, Judge Marina Syrova said.
"Once on the solea and ambo, Tolokonnikova instantly connected the microphone to the sound-reproducing equipment and switched on the record of a song, the content of which, from the point of view of the Orthodox Church, is blasphemous and insulting to believers and for priests," she said.
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15