17 August 2012, 17:50
Moscow City Court upholds ban on gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has again upheld a ban on gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years. Gay pride parade organizers intend to contest the decision.
"On Thursday, August 16, the Moscow City Court upheld a ban imposed by the Moscow government on gay pride parades for the next 100 years, from March 2012 to May 2112," Moscow gay pride parade activist Nikolay Alexeyev told Interfax on Friday.
The court declined Alexeyev's cassation appeal seeking a retrial of the case by the Moscow City Court Presidium.
"We will appeal against the actions taken by the Russian authorities, which have banned gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years, in the European Court of Human Rights in the nearest future. Thus, we will get the invalidation of the bans not only on past, but also future gay pride parades in the Russian capital," Alexeyev said.
He also said he intends to inform the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe of this decision, as the Committee will study the implementation of the European court's decision on Alexeyev vs. Russia, which states that bans on gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006-2008 were illegitimate, in September.
According to earlier reports, the organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade on August 23 submitted to the Moscow government and the Moscow Main Interior Affairs Department notices of their intention to hold gay pride parades in Moscow in 2012 and in the next 100 years. The gay pride parade organizers stated all those parades were expected to take place on Bolotnaya Square.
The Moscow government declined to authorize the events for the next 100 years, citing possible unrest and the opinion of the majority of city residents, who oppose such events.
On January 19, 2012, the Moscow Tverskoy District Court upheld the Moscow administration's decision. The Moscow City Court upheld the decision on June 6. The organizers then filed a cassation appeal, asking for the case to be tried again in the Moscow City Court Presidium. Their request was declined on August 16.
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill says optimistic about future of Orthodoxy in China 16 May 2013, 10:00
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill holds first in 50 years divine liturgy in Shanghai 15 May 2013, 11:58
- Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism 15 May 2013, 10:16
- Still no hajj warning from Saudi Arabia over SARS-like virus 14 May 2013, 15:07
- Monument to Sts Emperor Nicholas II, Empress Alexandra unveiled in St. Petersburg 14 May 2013, 15:05
- Ivanishvili says will protect gays, refuses to discuss possibility of same-sex "marriages" 14 May 2013, 14:07
- Mayor's Office says no gay parade in Moscow 14 May 2013, 11:53
- Hundreds of Chinese gathered for Patriarch Kirill's service in Harbin 14 May 2013, 11:44
- Kadyrov calls for unblocking access to YouTube which insulted Muslims 14 May 2013, 10:14
- Patriarch Kirill visited historical center of Russian emigration in China 14 May 2013, 10:06
- St. Petersburg authorities allow sexual minorities to hold rally - LGBT activists 13 May 2013, 16:13
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Chinese believers to save world from degradation together 13 May 2013, 15:56
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Shaolin 13 May 2013, 15:21
- Gay pride parade in Moscow unlikely - city administration 13 May 2013, 15:06
- Ideas of Tajik leader's address will be explained in mosques 13 May 2013, 12:03
- Russian participant of Eurovision regularly fasts and plans to study in madrasah 13 May 2013, 11:42
- Gay pride parade application filed to Moscow city administration (updated) 13 May 2013, 11:40