17 August 2012, 17:50
Moscow City Court upholds ban on gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has again upheld a ban on gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years. Gay pride parade organizers intend to contest the decision.
"On Thursday, August 16, the Moscow City Court upheld a ban imposed by the Moscow government on gay pride parades for the next 100 years, from March 2012 to May 2112," Moscow gay pride parade activist Nikolay Alexeyev told Interfax on Friday.
The court declined Alexeyev's cassation appeal seeking a retrial of the case by the Moscow City Court Presidium.
"We will appeal against the actions taken by the Russian authorities, which have banned gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years, in the European Court of Human Rights in the nearest future. Thus, we will get the invalidation of the bans not only on past, but also future gay pride parades in the Russian capital," Alexeyev said.
He also said he intends to inform the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe of this decision, as the Committee will study the implementation of the European court's decision on Alexeyev vs. Russia, which states that bans on gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006-2008 were illegitimate, in September.
According to earlier reports, the organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade on August 23 submitted to the Moscow government and the Moscow Main Interior Affairs Department notices of their intention to hold gay pride parades in Moscow in 2012 and in the next 100 years. The gay pride parade organizers stated all those parades were expected to take place on Bolotnaya Square.
The Moscow government declined to authorize the events for the next 100 years, citing possible unrest and the opinion of the majority of city residents, who oppose such events.
On January 19, 2012, the Moscow Tverskoy District Court upheld the Moscow administration's decision. The Moscow City Court upheld the decision on June 6. The organizers then filed a cassation appeal, asking for the case to be tried again in the Moscow City Court Presidium. Their request was declined on August 16.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28