17 August 2012, 17:50
Moscow City Court upholds ban on gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has again upheld a ban on gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years. Gay pride parade organizers intend to contest the decision.
"On Thursday, August 16, the Moscow City Court upheld a ban imposed by the Moscow government on gay pride parades for the next 100 years, from March 2012 to May 2112," Moscow gay pride parade activist Nikolay Alexeyev told Interfax on Friday.
The court declined Alexeyev's cassation appeal seeking a retrial of the case by the Moscow City Court Presidium.
"We will appeal against the actions taken by the Russian authorities, which have banned gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years, in the European Court of Human Rights in the nearest future. Thus, we will get the invalidation of the bans not only on past, but also future gay pride parades in the Russian capital," Alexeyev said.
He also said he intends to inform the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe of this decision, as the Committee will study the implementation of the European court's decision on Alexeyev vs. Russia, which states that bans on gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006-2008 were illegitimate, in September.
According to earlier reports, the organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade on August 23 submitted to the Moscow government and the Moscow Main Interior Affairs Department notices of their intention to hold gay pride parades in Moscow in 2012 and in the next 100 years. The gay pride parade organizers stated all those parades were expected to take place on Bolotnaya Square.
The Moscow government declined to authorize the events for the next 100 years, citing possible unrest and the opinion of the majority of city residents, who oppose such events.
On January 19, 2012, the Moscow Tverskoy District Court upheld the Moscow administration's decision. The Moscow City Court upheld the decision on June 6. The organizers then filed a cassation appeal, asking for the case to be tried again in the Moscow City Court Presidium. Their request was declined on August 16.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06