20 August 2012, 10:13
Cross sawn down by FEMEN activists in Kiev turned out to be Catholic, not Orthodox
Kiev, August 20, Interfax - The cross that activists from the movement FEMEN sawed down in central Kiev turned out to be Catholic, not Orthodox, the Ukrainian public organization Orthodox Choice told Interfax-Religion.
"This cross was put by Transcarpathian uniates in memory of the people martyred by ChK and NKVD in the 1920s and the 1930s without any authorization in 2004," the source said.
However, the majority of the people who were subjected to repression in the former building of the Noble Girls' Institute in Kiev were Orthodox clergymen, Russian officers and soldiers, and activists from the Russian People's Union and other monarchist organizations, the source said.
"It is also obvious that the majority of the people who were subjected to repression under Stalin were Orthodox Christians. It has to be said that that repression was also a manifestation of the persecution of the Orthodox Church in the atheist period of the Soviet rule," the source said.
For this reason, it would have been fair to put an Orthodox cross near the building of the current Arts Palace in Kiev in memory of the Orthodox Christians killed in the 1920s and the 1930s, the source said.
"We are asking the Ukrainian law enforcement agencies to subject to criminal liability activists from the movement FEMEN, who have committed blasphemous anti-Christian acts before. We also believe the Justice Ministry has enough grounds to ban FEMEN as an organization posing danger to society," the statement says.
According to earlier reports, FEMEN activists sawed down a cross in central Kiev located near the International Center for Culture and Arts (Oktyabrsky Palace) to express their solidarity and support of Pussy Riot.
A criminal case was opened on the basis of the article of the Ukrainian Criminal Code dealing with hooliganism.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29