20 August 2012, 10:13
Cross sawn down by FEMEN activists in Kiev turned out to be Catholic, not Orthodox
Kiev, August 20, Interfax - The cross that activists from the movement FEMEN sawed down in central Kiev turned out to be Catholic, not Orthodox, the Ukrainian public organization Orthodox Choice told Interfax-Religion.
"This cross was put by Transcarpathian uniates in memory of the people martyred by ChK and NKVD in the 1920s and the 1930s without any authorization in 2004," the source said.
However, the majority of the people who were subjected to repression in the former building of the Noble Girls' Institute in Kiev were Orthodox clergymen, Russian officers and soldiers, and activists from the Russian People's Union and other monarchist organizations, the source said.
"It is also obvious that the majority of the people who were subjected to repression under Stalin were Orthodox Christians. It has to be said that that repression was also a manifestation of the persecution of the Orthodox Church in the atheist period of the Soviet rule," the source said.
For this reason, it would have been fair to put an Orthodox cross near the building of the current Arts Palace in Kiev in memory of the Orthodox Christians killed in the 1920s and the 1930s, the source said.
"We are asking the Ukrainian law enforcement agencies to subject to criminal liability activists from the movement FEMEN, who have committed blasphemous anti-Christian acts before. We also believe the Justice Ministry has enough grounds to ban FEMEN as an organization posing danger to society," the statement says.
According to earlier reports, FEMEN activists sawed down a cross in central Kiev located near the International Center for Culture and Arts (Oktyabrsky Palace) to express their solidarity and support of Pussy Riot.
A criminal case was opened on the basis of the article of the Ukrainian Criminal Code dealing with hooliganism.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09