20 August 2012, 10:13
Cross sawn down by FEMEN activists in Kiev turned out to be Catholic, not Orthodox
Kiev, August 20, Interfax - The cross that activists from the movement FEMEN sawed down in central Kiev turned out to be Catholic, not Orthodox, the Ukrainian public organization Orthodox Choice told Interfax-Religion.
"This cross was put by Transcarpathian uniates in memory of the people martyred by ChK and NKVD in the 1920s and the 1930s without any authorization in 2004," the source said.
However, the majority of the people who were subjected to repression in the former building of the Noble Girls' Institute in Kiev were Orthodox clergymen, Russian officers and soldiers, and activists from the Russian People's Union and other monarchist organizations, the source said.
"It is also obvious that the majority of the people who were subjected to repression under Stalin were Orthodox Christians. It has to be said that that repression was also a manifestation of the persecution of the Orthodox Church in the atheist period of the Soviet rule," the source said.
For this reason, it would have been fair to put an Orthodox cross near the building of the current Arts Palace in Kiev in memory of the Orthodox Christians killed in the 1920s and the 1930s, the source said.
"We are asking the Ukrainian law enforcement agencies to subject to criminal liability activists from the movement FEMEN, who have committed blasphemous anti-Christian acts before. We also believe the Justice Ministry has enough grounds to ban FEMEN as an organization posing danger to society," the statement says.
According to earlier reports, FEMEN activists sawed down a cross in central Kiev located near the International Center for Culture and Arts (Oktyabrsky Palace) to express their solidarity and support of Pussy Riot.
A criminal case was opened on the basis of the article of the Ukrainian Criminal Code dealing with hooliganism.
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48
- Armenian Church to canonize all victims of Armenian genocide 20 April 2015, 17:45
- Two Mormon missionaries detained near St. Petersburg 20 April 2015, 10:00
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28