20 August 2012, 10:40
Police block FEMEN office in Kiev
Kiev, August 20, Interfax - The Ukrainian feminist movement FEMEN says the police blocked the organization's office in Kiev following the sawing down of the cross in central Kiev.
"The police launched a full-fledged hunt for FEMEN activists after the Interior Ministry's Main Department in Kiev opened a criminal case on the basis of the sawing down of the cross in Maidan Nezalezhnosti. The Kiev office of FEMEN was blocked by the Interior Ministry special troops all night," FEMEN said in a press release.
FEMEN activists reiterate that they are "calm about the authorities' ardor to put them behind bars and are not at all sorry for what they have done and are ready for any development of the situation."
According to earlier reports, FEMEN activists sawed down a cross in central Kiev located near the International Center for Culture and Arts (Oktyabrsky Palace) to express their solidarity and support of Pussy Riot on August 17.
A criminal case was opened on the basis of the article of the Ukrainian Criminal Code dealing with hooliganism. No one has been detained yet.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow patriarchate) condemned the FEMEN activists' action and called on the media and the public to ignore such actions.
The all-Ukrainian movement Svoboda and the all-Ukrainian public organization Vernoye Kazachestvo have expressed an intention to restore the cross.
On August 17, the Moscow Khamovnichesky Court sentenced three members of the feminist group Pussy Riot to two years in a penal colony for their stunt in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow.
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00
- The Kremlin called Ukraine part of the Russian world 08 February 2021, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for blocking social networks over foul language 08 February 2021, 12:59
- Yekaterinburg Diocese denies rumors about intention to 'storm' Sredneuralsky Convent 05 February 2021, 15:16
- Yakutsk City Court upholds motion for shaman Gabyshev's commitment to psychiatric hospital 02 February 2021, 20:36