20 August 2012, 11:05
Pussy Riot supporters are Russophobes with totalitarian mentality - WRPC
Moscow, August 20, Interfax - The World Russian People's Council (WRPC) believes the debate triggered by the stunt carried out by Pussy Riot in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior revealed the intolerance and lack of democracy in the liberal community worldwide.
"Defenders of the infamous group justified, glorified and even called on people to repeat their clear hooliganism only because it was targeted against the Church. This indicates serious moral problems in the influential part of the global liberal community and shows that the principles of tolerance and freedom of conscience they declare are very far from their real goals," WRPC said in a statement obtained by Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
WRPC is an international public organization. It was created in 1993. In 2005 it was granted special consultative status in the UN.
WRPC members are alarmed about the large-scale international campaign launched by Western politicians and culture figures in support of "ordinary hooligans."
"It is noteworthy that protests in support of Pussy Riot, which their organizers said were aimed against the injustice of the Russian judicial (and, in a broader sense, political) system, were not conducted at Russian embassies, but were aimed at desecrating Orthodox churches (in Vienna, Helsinki, etc.). Obviously, organizers of such protests were inspired by dislike of the Christian Church and Russophobia, not love for freedom," the document says.
WRPC believes it is highly important that the Pussy Riot activists have been found guilty of a crime.
"It had to be confirmed in public that deliberate desecration of holy places, insulting people's religious feelings, and manifestation of hatred of Orthodox Christians is a crime, not 'a creative act.' An acquittal, on which the defense lawyers insisted, would have confirmed that any atheist has a right to perpetrate any 'creative blasphemy' with impunity," the document says.
WRPC finds the attempts made by some members of the Russian and foreign liberal public to glorify the actions taken by Maria Alyokhina, Yekaterina Samutsevich and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and present them as 'martyrs' are "extremely regrettable."
"The entire story of this group, including the public sexual act in the Zoological Museum, looks like a series of cynical provocations against public morals. Manifesting solidarity with the organizers and perpetrators of such actions is just indecent and incompatible with the status of a cultured person," WRPC said in its statement.
- Patriarch Kirill urges Europeans to follow Christ contrary to public fashion 07 December 2016, 17:58
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25