20 August 2012, 11:05
Pussy Riot supporters are Russophobes with totalitarian mentality - WRPC
Moscow, August 20, Interfax - The World Russian People's Council (WRPC) believes the debate triggered by the stunt carried out by Pussy Riot in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior revealed the intolerance and lack of democracy in the liberal community worldwide.
"Defenders of the infamous group justified, glorified and even called on people to repeat their clear hooliganism only because it was targeted against the Church. This indicates serious moral problems in the influential part of the global liberal community and shows that the principles of tolerance and freedom of conscience they declare are very far from their real goals," WRPC said in a statement obtained by Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
WRPC is an international public organization. It was created in 1993. In 2005 it was granted special consultative status in the UN.
WRPC members are alarmed about the large-scale international campaign launched by Western politicians and culture figures in support of "ordinary hooligans."
"It is noteworthy that protests in support of Pussy Riot, which their organizers said were aimed against the injustice of the Russian judicial (and, in a broader sense, political) system, were not conducted at Russian embassies, but were aimed at desecrating Orthodox churches (in Vienna, Helsinki, etc.). Obviously, organizers of such protests were inspired by dislike of the Christian Church and Russophobia, not love for freedom," the document says.
WRPC believes it is highly important that the Pussy Riot activists have been found guilty of a crime.
"It had to be confirmed in public that deliberate desecration of holy places, insulting people's religious feelings, and manifestation of hatred of Orthodox Christians is a crime, not 'a creative act.' An acquittal, on which the defense lawyers insisted, would have confirmed that any atheist has a right to perpetrate any 'creative blasphemy' with impunity," the document says.
WRPC finds the attempts made by some members of the Russian and foreign liberal public to glorify the actions taken by Maria Alyokhina, Yekaterina Samutsevich and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and present them as 'martyrs' are "extremely regrettable."
"The entire story of this group, including the public sexual act in the Zoological Museum, looks like a series of cynical provocations against public morals. Manifesting solidarity with the organizers and perpetrators of such actions is just indecent and incompatible with the status of a cultured person," WRPC said in its statement.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01