20 August 2012, 11:05
Pussy Riot supporters are Russophobes with totalitarian mentality - WRPC
Moscow, August 20, Interfax - The World Russian People's Council (WRPC) believes the debate triggered by the stunt carried out by Pussy Riot in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior revealed the intolerance and lack of democracy in the liberal community worldwide.
"Defenders of the infamous group justified, glorified and even called on people to repeat their clear hooliganism only because it was targeted against the Church. This indicates serious moral problems in the influential part of the global liberal community and shows that the principles of tolerance and freedom of conscience they declare are very far from their real goals," WRPC said in a statement obtained by Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
WRPC is an international public organization. It was created in 1993. In 2005 it was granted special consultative status in the UN.
WRPC members are alarmed about the large-scale international campaign launched by Western politicians and culture figures in support of "ordinary hooligans."
"It is noteworthy that protests in support of Pussy Riot, which their organizers said were aimed against the injustice of the Russian judicial (and, in a broader sense, political) system, were not conducted at Russian embassies, but were aimed at desecrating Orthodox churches (in Vienna, Helsinki, etc.). Obviously, organizers of such protests were inspired by dislike of the Christian Church and Russophobia, not love for freedom," the document says.
WRPC believes it is highly important that the Pussy Riot activists have been found guilty of a crime.
"It had to be confirmed in public that deliberate desecration of holy places, insulting people's religious feelings, and manifestation of hatred of Orthodox Christians is a crime, not 'a creative act.' An acquittal, on which the defense lawyers insisted, would have confirmed that any atheist has a right to perpetrate any 'creative blasphemy' with impunity," the document says.
WRPC finds the attempts made by some members of the Russian and foreign liberal public to glorify the actions taken by Maria Alyokhina, Yekaterina Samutsevich and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and present them as 'martyrs' are "extremely regrettable."
"The entire story of this group, including the public sexual act in the Zoological Museum, looks like a series of cynical provocations against public morals. Manifesting solidarity with the organizers and perpetrators of such actions is just indecent and incompatible with the status of a cultured person," WRPC said in its statement.
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members convicted in Tatarstan, only one gets real prison sentence 02 October 2014, 16:58
- Russian church founder near the European Council 02 October 2014, 09:45
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15