20 August 2012, 11:05
Pussy Riot supporters are Russophobes with totalitarian mentality - WRPC
Moscow, August 20, Interfax - The World Russian People's Council (WRPC) believes the debate triggered by the stunt carried out by Pussy Riot in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior revealed the intolerance and lack of democracy in the liberal community worldwide.
"Defenders of the infamous group justified, glorified and even called on people to repeat their clear hooliganism only because it was targeted against the Church. This indicates serious moral problems in the influential part of the global liberal community and shows that the principles of tolerance and freedom of conscience they declare are very far from their real goals," WRPC said in a statement obtained by Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
WRPC is an international public organization. It was created in 1993. In 2005 it was granted special consultative status in the UN.
WRPC members are alarmed about the large-scale international campaign launched by Western politicians and culture figures in support of "ordinary hooligans."
"It is noteworthy that protests in support of Pussy Riot, which their organizers said were aimed against the injustice of the Russian judicial (and, in a broader sense, political) system, were not conducted at Russian embassies, but were aimed at desecrating Orthodox churches (in Vienna, Helsinki, etc.). Obviously, organizers of such protests were inspired by dislike of the Christian Church and Russophobia, not love for freedom," the document says.
WRPC believes it is highly important that the Pussy Riot activists have been found guilty of a crime.
"It had to be confirmed in public that deliberate desecration of holy places, insulting people's religious feelings, and manifestation of hatred of Orthodox Christians is a crime, not 'a creative act.' An acquittal, on which the defense lawyers insisted, would have confirmed that any atheist has a right to perpetrate any 'creative blasphemy' with impunity," the document says.
WRPC finds the attempts made by some members of the Russian and foreign liberal public to glorify the actions taken by Maria Alyokhina, Yekaterina Samutsevich and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and present them as 'martyrs' are "extremely regrettable."
"The entire story of this group, including the public sexual act in the Zoological Museum, looks like a series of cynical provocations against public morals. Manifesting solidarity with the organizers and perpetrators of such actions is just indecent and incompatible with the status of a cultured person," WRPC said in its statement.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Victory Day in prayer 02 April 2015, 10:00
- Russian Culture Ministry to support only art focused on traditional values 01 April 2015, 17:53
- Russian Muslim admin issues fatwa condemning ISIL 01 April 2015, 10:00
- Moscow's chief rabbi to meet with pope to discuss religious extremism in Europe 31 March 2015, 16:45
- Vatican ex-advisor converts to Orthodoxy and becomes a monk in Moscow monastery 31 March 2015, 15:49
- Number of Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters drastically down in Crimea - Russian Interior Ministry 31 March 2015, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Imams of Tajik mosques are urged to call for closure of Islamic Revival Party 30 March 2015, 16:45
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42