20 August 2012, 12:05
Law ignored once more for benefit of political considerations - Prokhorov about Pussy Riot sentence
Moscow, August 20, Interfax - Business tycoon and former presidential candidate Mikhail Prokhorov believes that the sentence to members of Pussy Riot punk group demonstrates scorn for law and is a strategic mistake of the authorities.
"The fact that as a result the girls were sentenced to actual prison terms is bad. Even every bad. Once again the letter of law is being disregarded for the benefit of current political considerations. Clearly this is not so much of a sentence as a reply to all this hysteria of a worldwide format. However, there would have been no hysteria but for these months of confinement," he wrote in his LiveJournal.
"A strategic mistake was made that again delivered a bad blow to the reputation of the judicial system. It is not clear what will have worse consequences as a result," he wrote.
Prokhorov doubts that the court judgment was independent.
"We don't know who made the final decision and where - in the Kremlin or at the Patriarchate. It was hardly the judge herself," he wrote.
"The supremacy of law over any political or corporate interests is the only thing that is capable of guaranteeing the country a normal future," Prokhorov believes.
Khamovnichesky Court in Moscow on Friday sentenced members of Pussy Riot group who staged a scandal-making action in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior to two years of confinement in a penal colony.
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00
- The Kremlin called Ukraine part of the Russian world 08 February 2021, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for blocking social networks over foul language 08 February 2021, 12:59
- Yekaterinburg Diocese denies rumors about intention to 'storm' Sredneuralsky Convent 05 February 2021, 15:16
- Yakutsk City Court upholds motion for shaman Gabyshev's commitment to psychiatric hospital 02 February 2021, 20:36