27 August 2012, 17:07
Russian chaplains to wear regular military uniform
Moscow, August 27, Interfax - Chaplains of the Russian armed forces will be provided with winter and summer dress uniforms, said Boris Lukichev, the head of the Defense Ministry's department for religion in the military.
"Uniform is a very important aspect, and the defense minister has ordered chaplains to be provided with summer and winter dress uniforms, including ear-flapped field caps, boots and other items," Lukichev said on Ekho Moskvy radio on Saturday.
Insignia have not been confirmed for champion, so far, he said. "Military clergy belong to various religions, and making a common sign for all of them would be wrong. But this problem will be finally settled," he said.
"Two hundred and forty-three chaplains' positions have been opened in the armed forces. During the |war of 1812, the Russian armed forces had 240 priests. A symbolic coincidence, isn't it?" he said.
Pastoral service in the armed forces is not a novelty and the first priests joined the troops during Peter the Great's reign, he said..
The work of chaplains, attached to the Black Sea Fleet, is organized better than in other arms and services, he also said. "Archpriest Alexander Bondarenko spoke at the Black Sea Fleet's Military Council meeting on July 31. A religious culture university has been set up at the fleet," he said.
Lukichev made special mention of Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov, the chaplain of the Land Forces. "The Russian Orthodox Church is ready to send more than a hundred priests to the troops," he said.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57