28 August 2012, 12:06
Movement Narodnaya Volya claims responsibility for sawing down crosses in Russia
Moscow, August 28, Interfax - A movement called Narodnaya Volya (which translates as "people's will") has posted a statement on the Internet claiming liability for sawing down several crosses in two Russian regions on August 25.
"The cutting down of the Russia Orthodox Church crosses in the village of Smelovsky, Verkhneuralsky District of the Chelyabinsk Region and in the city district Varavino-Faktoriya in Arkhangelsk is part of our operation against the Russian Orthodox Church called Krestopoval and was carried out by the military wing of our Movement, the flight combat units Neizvestnyye [the Unknown]," Narodnaya Volya said on Facebook.
According to earlier reports, unknown individuals on August 25 sawed down three crosses installed at the entrance of the village of Smelovsky, Verkhneuralsky District of the Chelyabinsk Region, in July 2012. Unknown individuals also sawed down and cut into pieces a cross in the city district Varavino-Faktoriya in Arkhangelsk
The attacks on "Russian Orthodox Church signs are a response to the statement on the creation of Orthodox militia, the Russian Orthodox Church's reprisal of the Russian girls from Pussy Riot, and the insult by D. Smirnov of prominent Russian revolutionary movement leader Vladimir Ilyich Lenin," Narodnaya Volya said in its press release.
"We demand the immediate release of the Pussy Riot members. Attacks against the Russian Orthodox Church will continue until our demands are fully met," the document says.
On August 17, activists from the feminist movement FEMEN sawed down a cross in central Kiev in support of the Pussy Riot women, who had been sentenced to two years in a penal colony for their stunt in the Moscow cathedral of Christ the Savior. The cross had been installed in memory of victims of Stalin repression.
Narodnaya Volya called on "all healthy forces in Russian society" to "leave the Russian Orthodox Church," which, according to the press release, "has no relation to Orthodox faith." "Create the New Orthodox Church, which will not be related to the Russian Orthodox Church," the press release says.
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01