31 August 2012, 10:58
Double murder suspect wrote Free Pussy Riot to confuse investigators (updated)
Kazan, August 31, Interfax - Police have detained a man accused of involvement in the murder of two women in Kazan, the capital of Russia's Republic of Tatarstan, the local Interior Ministry said in a press release on Friday.
"The double murder suspect was detained by detectives from the Criminal Investigation Department of Tatarstan's Interior Ministry early on August 31. He has been identified as a 38-year-old Kazan university teacher with a Ph.D degree," it said.
The dead bodies of two women, a mother and her daughter, bearing signs of a violent death were found in an apartment in Kazan.
A slogan reading "Free Pussy Riot was written on the apartment wall, presumably in blood, the Russian Investigative Committee said.
According to the detained man, he used to study together with the younger of the victims and was on friendly terms with her.
Furthermore, the man persuaded the woman to pay off some of his debt by taking up bank loans worth several hundred thousand rubles.
Lacking the money to repay his debts, the suspect fakes romantic feelings toward the woman, sent her SMS-messages and asked her to spend their vacations at a sea resort together.
The murder was committed following a row on August 22, when the man told his victim that their trip would not take place.
"According to the suspect, the women started to insult him at a certain point, causing him to lose his temper. The man snatched a knife and stabbed his victim in the neck, after which he stabbed her many times, resulting in her death. The woman's mother entered the room at that moment. The man inflicted several lethal knife wounds on the elderly woman in order to leave no witnesses," the ministry said.
'In an effort to distract any suspicion, the man attempted to fake a ritual killing by positioning the victims' bodies to resemble the figure 69 and writing "Free Pussy Riot" in English on the apartment wall, it said.
The suspect then stole his "I own you" note, the knife he used to kill the women, 100,000 rubles and two mobile phones from the apartment.
The man lives in a rented apartment on Kazan's Chuikov Street together with his parents, hiding from numerous creditors, the ministry said.
The stolen mobile phones, knife and "I owe you" note were found by police on the balcony of the apartment, it said.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33