31 August 2012, 10:58
Double murder suspect wrote Free Pussy Riot to confuse investigators (updated)
Kazan, August 31, Interfax - Police have detained a man accused of involvement in the murder of two women in Kazan, the capital of Russia's Republic of Tatarstan, the local Interior Ministry said in a press release on Friday.
"The double murder suspect was detained by detectives from the Criminal Investigation Department of Tatarstan's Interior Ministry early on August 31. He has been identified as a 38-year-old Kazan university teacher with a Ph.D degree," it said.
The dead bodies of two women, a mother and her daughter, bearing signs of a violent death were found in an apartment in Kazan.
A slogan reading "Free Pussy Riot was written on the apartment wall, presumably in blood, the Russian Investigative Committee said.
According to the detained man, he used to study together with the younger of the victims and was on friendly terms with her.
Furthermore, the man persuaded the woman to pay off some of his debt by taking up bank loans worth several hundred thousand rubles.
Lacking the money to repay his debts, the suspect fakes romantic feelings toward the woman, sent her SMS-messages and asked her to spend their vacations at a sea resort together.
The murder was committed following a row on August 22, when the man told his victim that their trip would not take place.
"According to the suspect, the women started to insult him at a certain point, causing him to lose his temper. The man snatched a knife and stabbed his victim in the neck, after which he stabbed her many times, resulting in her death. The woman's mother entered the room at that moment. The man inflicted several lethal knife wounds on the elderly woman in order to leave no witnesses," the ministry said.
'In an effort to distract any suspicion, the man attempted to fake a ritual killing by positioning the victims' bodies to resemble the figure 69 and writing "Free Pussy Riot" in English on the apartment wall, it said.
The suspect then stole his "I own you" note, the knife he used to kill the women, 100,000 rubles and two mobile phones from the apartment.
The man lives in a rented apartment on Kazan's Chuikov Street together with his parents, hiding from numerous creditors, the ministry said.
The stolen mobile phones, knife and "I owe you" note were found by police on the balcony of the apartment, it said.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58