31 August 2012, 10:58
Double murder suspect wrote Free Pussy Riot to confuse investigators (updated)
Kazan, August 31, Interfax - Police have detained a man accused of involvement in the murder of two women in Kazan, the capital of Russia's Republic of Tatarstan, the local Interior Ministry said in a press release on Friday.
"The double murder suspect was detained by detectives from the Criminal Investigation Department of Tatarstan's Interior Ministry early on August 31. He has been identified as a 38-year-old Kazan university teacher with a Ph.D degree," it said.
The dead bodies of two women, a mother and her daughter, bearing signs of a violent death were found in an apartment in Kazan.
A slogan reading "Free Pussy Riot was written on the apartment wall, presumably in blood, the Russian Investigative Committee said.
According to the detained man, he used to study together with the younger of the victims and was on friendly terms with her.
Furthermore, the man persuaded the woman to pay off some of his debt by taking up bank loans worth several hundred thousand rubles.
Lacking the money to repay his debts, the suspect fakes romantic feelings toward the woman, sent her SMS-messages and asked her to spend their vacations at a sea resort together.
The murder was committed following a row on August 22, when the man told his victim that their trip would not take place.
"According to the suspect, the women started to insult him at a certain point, causing him to lose his temper. The man snatched a knife and stabbed his victim in the neck, after which he stabbed her many times, resulting in her death. The woman's mother entered the room at that moment. The man inflicted several lethal knife wounds on the elderly woman in order to leave no witnesses," the ministry said.
'In an effort to distract any suspicion, the man attempted to fake a ritual killing by positioning the victims' bodies to resemble the figure 69 and writing "Free Pussy Riot" in English on the apartment wall, it said.
The suspect then stole his "I own you" note, the knife he used to kill the women, 100,000 rubles and two mobile phones from the apartment.
The man lives in a rented apartment on Kazan's Chuikov Street together with his parents, hiding from numerous creditors, the ministry said.
The stolen mobile phones, knife and "I owe you" note were found by police on the balcony of the apartment, it said.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04