31 August 2012, 10:58
Double murder suspect wrote Free Pussy Riot to confuse investigators (updated)
Kazan, August 31, Interfax - Police have detained a man accused of involvement in the murder of two women in Kazan, the capital of Russia's Republic of Tatarstan, the local Interior Ministry said in a press release on Friday.
"The double murder suspect was detained by detectives from the Criminal Investigation Department of Tatarstan's Interior Ministry early on August 31. He has been identified as a 38-year-old Kazan university teacher with a Ph.D degree," it said.
The dead bodies of two women, a mother and her daughter, bearing signs of a violent death were found in an apartment in Kazan.
A slogan reading "Free Pussy Riot was written on the apartment wall, presumably in blood, the Russian Investigative Committee said.
According to the detained man, he used to study together with the younger of the victims and was on friendly terms with her.
Furthermore, the man persuaded the woman to pay off some of his debt by taking up bank loans worth several hundred thousand rubles.
Lacking the money to repay his debts, the suspect fakes romantic feelings toward the woman, sent her SMS-messages and asked her to spend their vacations at a sea resort together.
The murder was committed following a row on August 22, when the man told his victim that their trip would not take place.
"According to the suspect, the women started to insult him at a certain point, causing him to lose his temper. The man snatched a knife and stabbed his victim in the neck, after which he stabbed her many times, resulting in her death. The woman's mother entered the room at that moment. The man inflicted several lethal knife wounds on the elderly woman in order to leave no witnesses," the ministry said.
'In an effort to distract any suspicion, the man attempted to fake a ritual killing by positioning the victims' bodies to resemble the figure 69 and writing "Free Pussy Riot" in English on the apartment wall, it said.
The suspect then stole his "I own you" note, the knife he used to kill the women, 100,000 rubles and two mobile phones from the apartment.
The man lives in a rented apartment on Kazan's Chuikov Street together with his parents, hiding from numerous creditors, the ministry said.
The stolen mobile phones, knife and "I owe you" note were found by police on the balcony of the apartment, it said.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28