31 August 2012, 10:58
Double murder suspect wrote Free Pussy Riot to confuse investigators (updated)
Kazan, August 31, Interfax - Police have detained a man accused of involvement in the murder of two women in Kazan, the capital of Russia's Republic of Tatarstan, the local Interior Ministry said in a press release on Friday.
"The double murder suspect was detained by detectives from the Criminal Investigation Department of Tatarstan's Interior Ministry early on August 31. He has been identified as a 38-year-old Kazan university teacher with a Ph.D degree," it said.
The dead bodies of two women, a mother and her daughter, bearing signs of a violent death were found in an apartment in Kazan.
A slogan reading "Free Pussy Riot was written on the apartment wall, presumably in blood, the Russian Investigative Committee said.
According to the detained man, he used to study together with the younger of the victims and was on friendly terms with her.
Furthermore, the man persuaded the woman to pay off some of his debt by taking up bank loans worth several hundred thousand rubles.
Lacking the money to repay his debts, the suspect fakes romantic feelings toward the woman, sent her SMS-messages and asked her to spend their vacations at a sea resort together.
The murder was committed following a row on August 22, when the man told his victim that their trip would not take place.
"According to the suspect, the women started to insult him at a certain point, causing him to lose his temper. The man snatched a knife and stabbed his victim in the neck, after which he stabbed her many times, resulting in her death. The woman's mother entered the room at that moment. The man inflicted several lethal knife wounds on the elderly woman in order to leave no witnesses," the ministry said.
'In an effort to distract any suspicion, the man attempted to fake a ritual killing by positioning the victims' bodies to resemble the figure 69 and writing "Free Pussy Riot" in English on the apartment wall, it said.
The suspect then stole his "I own you" note, the knife he used to kill the women, 100,000 rubles and two mobile phones from the apartment.
The man lives in a rented apartment on Kazan's Chuikov Street together with his parents, hiding from numerous creditors, the ministry said.
The stolen mobile phones, knife and "I owe you" note were found by police on the balcony of the apartment, it said.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28