31 August 2012, 17:39
Impossible to combat Islamism in Russia without restricting certain rights and liberties – expert
Moscow, August 31, Interfax - Yana Amelina, head of the sector for Caucasus studies at the Russian Institute for Strategic Studies, has suggested outlawing radical Islamists in response to the assassination of the Muslim spiritual leader in Dagestan Sheikh Said Atsayev.
"What happened in Dagestan clearly prompts the conclusion that effective resistance to radical Islam in all its manifestations is impossible without temporarily restricting certain constitutional rights and liberties through introducing a state of emergency or a counterterrorist operation (for only a certain time and in regions of the greatest Islamist threat, of course,)" she said to a correspondent of Interfax-Religion.
She said that a situation in which extremists do not recognize the legitimacy of the Russian state but actively benefit from its constitutional freedom of speech and assembly for their own purposes "is unacceptable and leads to the loss of the side that plays according to rules, in this case Russia."
Amelina reminded the correspondent that simultaneously with the murder of the Sheikh in Dagestan, another tragedy occurred: a border guard shot dead seven of his colleagues. The special services had signals about him, "three attempts were made to dismiss him from the border service, but there no sufficient formal reasons for that."
"The solution is clear- membership in a radical Islamist movement should be sufficient reason for dismissal without chances of reinstatement not only from law enforcement, but from any public service. Such a person should lose the right to hold positions in government or municipal bodies, law enforcement or defense, teach at day-care centers, schools or colleges and even less so work in the mass media," Amelina said.
She also called for fully excluding Islamists and their supporters from the Russian social, political and media environment noting that the elimination of the Islamist lobby in both the media and government institutions should be a pressing task along with armed cleansing.
"The tragedies in Tatarstan and Dagestan were not accidental escapades of individual terrorists but a point of no-return, part of a well-considered plan of forming a common Islamist front of supporters of jihad in the North Caucasus and along the Volga river. One should not have illusions that Islamists and the foreign forces standing behind them will be content with simple instability. Their ultimate objective is to destroy Russia. Knowing that they should be dealt with accordingly," the expert believes.
In her opinion, the murder of the Sheikh in Dagestan proves that a dialogue with radical Islamists leads to the physical destruction of followers of traditional Islam and to threat to national security.
"Any attempts to flirt with the radicals, all these senseless 'dialogues' and 'commissions for the adaptation of militants' justifiably regarded by the latter as a manifestation of the weakness of state institutions should be dropped from the agenda once and for all," Amelina said.
- Russian Orthodox Church, Vatican ready to be mediators between conflict parties in Ukraine 21 October 2016, 18:38
- Metropolitan Onufry complains to USA ambassador of the UOC discrimination 21 October 2016, 11:16
- OIC foreign ministers denounce U.S. Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism 20 October 2016, 14:03
- Photos from Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Elizabeth II were not published as its format was private - the patriarch's press secretary 20 October 2016, 13:12
- Afghans themselves should take efforts in national reconciliation - OIC declaration 20 October 2016, 10:39
- OIC says Palestinian people have inalienable rights to Temple Mount, calls for swiftest stabilization of situation in Middle East 20 October 2016, 10:34
- Russian shortie about Holocaust included in Oscar long list 19 October 2016, 18:00
- Russian Security Council sees serious threat in Islamic radicals in Siberia 19 October 2016, 14:57
- Patriarch Kirill expresses his concerns to Archbishop of Canterbury about Anglicans' apostacy from Christian morals 19 October 2016, 11:54
- Patriarch Kirill urges all countries to unite in sacred war on terrorism 18 October 2016, 22:25
- Church of England, Roman Catholic Church, Russian Orthodox Church ready to act together to world's benefit - Patriarch Kirill 18 October 2016, 22:20
- Conversation with Queen Elizabeth II made very pleasant impression on Patriarch Kirill "intellectually and emotionally" 18 October 2016, 22:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Canterbury express readiness for joint peacekeeping work 18 October 2016, 21:46
- Patriarch Kirill sensed no hostility towards Russia in London 18 October 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill calls for pluralism in mass media 18 October 2016, 21:42
- Patriarch Kirill presents Elisabeth II with icon of the Mother of God 18 October 2016, 17:48
- OIC calls for political solution to Syrian crisis, says Damascus responsible for conflict - secretary general 18 October 2016, 10:48
- Parishioners of the Russian cathedral in London present a puppy to Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill urges Christians of England to develop together Russia-UK relations 17 October 2016, 12:57
- Christianity is urged to strengthen relations between Russia and Britain - Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 10:20
- Patriarch Kirill becomes an honorable member of the British Royal Geographic Society 17 October 2016, 10:07
- Wishes for long life were proclaimed to Elizabeth II at the patriarchal service in London 16 October 2016, 21:15
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates the Russian cathedral in London 16 October 2016, 20:05
- Uzbekistan to host meeting of OIC Council of Foreign Ministers on October 18-19 14 October 2016, 15:50
- Rabbi Lazar criticizes Russia for supporting UNESCO resolution on Jerusalem 14 October 2016, 12:34
- Saudi funding of Wahhabi ideology must stop in order to fight it - al-Assad 14 October 2016, 12:29
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to learn patriotism from the Chinese 14 October 2016, 12:20
- First Russian monastery to open in South America 14 October 2016, 10:31
- Poroshenko asked to ban Eurovision opening at Kiev's St. Sophia cathedral 14 October 2016, 10:20
- Cancellation of Putin's visit to Paris will not affect time frameworks of opening of Russian Spiritual and Cultural Center 13 October 2016, 18:09