31 August 2012, 17:39
Impossible to combat Islamism in Russia without restricting certain rights and liberties – expert
Moscow, August 31, Interfax - Yana Amelina, head of the sector for Caucasus studies at the Russian Institute for Strategic Studies, has suggested outlawing radical Islamists in response to the assassination of the Muslim spiritual leader in Dagestan Sheikh Said Atsayev.
"What happened in Dagestan clearly prompts the conclusion that effective resistance to radical Islam in all its manifestations is impossible without temporarily restricting certain constitutional rights and liberties through introducing a state of emergency or a counterterrorist operation (for only a certain time and in regions of the greatest Islamist threat, of course,)" she said to a correspondent of Interfax-Religion.
She said that a situation in which extremists do not recognize the legitimacy of the Russian state but actively benefit from its constitutional freedom of speech and assembly for their own purposes "is unacceptable and leads to the loss of the side that plays according to rules, in this case Russia."
Amelina reminded the correspondent that simultaneously with the murder of the Sheikh in Dagestan, another tragedy occurred: a border guard shot dead seven of his colleagues. The special services had signals about him, "three attempts were made to dismiss him from the border service, but there no sufficient formal reasons for that."
"The solution is clear- membership in a radical Islamist movement should be sufficient reason for dismissal without chances of reinstatement not only from law enforcement, but from any public service. Such a person should lose the right to hold positions in government or municipal bodies, law enforcement or defense, teach at day-care centers, schools or colleges and even less so work in the mass media," Amelina said.
She also called for fully excluding Islamists and their supporters from the Russian social, political and media environment noting that the elimination of the Islamist lobby in both the media and government institutions should be a pressing task along with armed cleansing.
"The tragedies in Tatarstan and Dagestan were not accidental escapades of individual terrorists but a point of no-return, part of a well-considered plan of forming a common Islamist front of supporters of jihad in the North Caucasus and along the Volga river. One should not have illusions that Islamists and the foreign forces standing behind them will be content with simple instability. Their ultimate objective is to destroy Russia. Knowing that they should be dealt with accordingly," the expert believes.
In her opinion, the murder of the Sheikh in Dagestan proves that a dialogue with radical Islamists leads to the physical destruction of followers of traditional Islam and to threat to national security.
"Any attempts to flirt with the radicals, all these senseless 'dialogues' and 'commissions for the adaptation of militants' justifiably regarded by the latter as a manifestation of the weakness of state institutions should be dropped from the agenda once and for all," Amelina said.
- Russian bomb disposal experts clear of mines 2 mosques in Aleppo 09 December 2016, 18:04
- Kyrgyzstan to develop state program to fight terrorism, religious extremism 09 December 2016, 16:58
- The Russian Church calls false information about supernatural events at the restoration site of the Lord's Sepulchre 08 December 2016, 14:29
- Prosecutor asks court to sentence ex-student Karaulova to 5 years in prison for attempt to join ISIL 08 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill urges Europeans to follow Christ contrary to public fashion 07 December 2016, 17:58
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00