17 September 2012, 13:54
Patriarch Kirill compares way of Christian with way of Samurai in sermon to Japanese
Tokyo, September 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Metropolitan Daniel of Tokyo and All Japan on Sunday led the liturgy in Holy Resurrection Cathedral in Tokyo.
The service was attended by about 700 worshippers - Japanese and expatriate Russians. The attendees included the ambassadors of Russia, Ukraine and Romania and the naval attache of Greece. Two Japanese women in kimonos with flowers and a round loaf of bread welcomed the Patriarch at the entrance of the cathedral.
During the service Patriarch Kirill elected the cliric of St. Trinity and Sergius Laura Gerasim (Shevtsov) to the rank of Archimandrite for serving in the Tokyo cathedral.
In his sermon Patriarch Kirill recalled the code of Samurais - the way of Samurai is the way of death, the samurai should live so as if his body is dead "and then he frees himself, becomes strong, independent of death, his fear vanishes."
"Like Christ rose to the cross sacrificing himself for the sake of others, so we are opening our hearts to entering the way of heroic feat and sacrifice for others. It is through self-sacrifice that the secret of a man's love for God and for his neighbor opens up," the Patriarch said.
He said he prays for the prosperity of the Japanese people, for God to protect the Japanese "from horrible upheavals and to help everyone live in peace, harmony and unanimity."
The Patriarch wished the clergy and laity of the Japanese Orthodox Church to remain true to the behests of its founder - St. Nicholas of Japan and "to duly bear the testimony of Orthodox faith."
He decorated Metropolitan Daniel and other Japanese clergymen and laymen with the order of St. Nicholas of Japan recently instituted by the Russian Church.
The foundation of the cathedral on the hill at Kanda Surugadai was laid in March 1884 next to the Russian mission. The cathedral was built at the initiative of St. Nicholas (Kasatkin) of Japan, the founder of the Orthodox Church in Japan. Given the shortage of place for building the church the hill was artificially expanded.
In 1917 the cathedral like the rest of the mission in Japan lost its financial support from Russia. The seminary and school for women was closed. The original cathedral was seriously damaged in the Great Kanto earthquake of September 1923. Despite the sharp drop in the parish in October 1923 it was decided to restore the cathedral. The rebuilt cathedral was reconsecrated on December 15, 1929.
By 1946 it went into decay - the metal railing and copper from the roof were sold, services virtually stopped. The in 1949 services resumed.
The early 1950s saw the revival of parish life - a school and seminary were opened, the sisterhood launched it so operations.
The chapel of St. Nicholas of Japan built on the southern side of the cathedral was consecrated on March 19, 1978.
The repairs of the cathedral began in 1991. A leading artist of the Moscow Theological Academy Valentina Glazovskaya visited Japan several times in 1996-1998 and painted three icons in keeping with ancient Russian traditions. A monastery was founded with the Chapel of St. Nicholas in 2005.
The cathedral is built in the Russian byzantine style and is meant for 2,000 worshippers. Together with the dome and cross it is 35 meters tall. The belfry is 40 meters high.
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35
- Russian Orthodox Church proposes convene extraordinary pan-Orthodox council to depose Patriarch Bartholomew, his Synod members 12 October 2018, 19:24
- Metropolitan of Czech Lands and Slovakia expresses solidarity with canonical Church of Ukraine 12 October 2018, 17:36
- Kremlin vows to defend Orthodox Christians' interests in Ukraine using political, diplomatic methods 12 October 2018, 14:29
- Kremlin shares Russian Church's concern over Ecumenical Patriarchate's decisions – Peskov 12 October 2018, 14:28
- "Kiev Patriarchate" initiating emergency unification assembly 12 October 2018, 14:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unification assembly initiated by "Kiev Patriarchate" updated) 12 October 2018, 12:44
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry promises to rebuff possible provocations over granting of autocephaly to Ukrainian church 12 October 2018, 12:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Ecumenical Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine church 'illegal' 12 October 2018, 12:40
- Russian Orthodox Church's response to Constantinople to be tough, decisive - representative 11 October 2018, 23:19
- Patriarchate of Constantinople announces establishment of direct rule over Kiev parishes - Synod decision 11 October 2018, 23:17
- Poroshenko vows to respect rights of believers who remain loyal to Moscow Patriarchate 11 October 2018, 23:16
- Removal of anathema from Filaret forces Russian Orthodox Church to cut Eucharistic communion with Constantinople - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 11 October 2018, 23:12
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Constantinople of destroying foundations of Orthodox Church 11 October 2018, 23:10