26 September 2012, 10:13
Duma deputy deplores "miserable minds" of some EU lawmakers
Moscow, September 26, Interfax - The head of the International Affairs Committee of Russia's State Duma has described members of the European Parliament who nominated the three convicted performers of Russian punk band Pussy Riot for the European Union legislature's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought are people with "miserable minds."
"The European Parliament has nominated Pussy Riot for the Sakharov Prize. This reflects not the achievements of PR but the miserable minds of some of the European deputies," Alexey Pushkov said in his Twitter microblog.
"Let's be fair: some of the deputies condemned the nomination of PR. One would hope that the European Parliament isn't hopeless though it does seem to be sometimes."
Two committees in the European Parliament are due to shortlist three nominees for the 2012 prize on October 9, the legislature announced.
The winner will be chosen at a meeting on October 26 of the leaders of the European Parliament's political groups, under a decision on Tuesday by some of the EU legislature's committees.
The nominees include Belarus opposition leader Ales Belyatsky, Joseph Francis of Pakistan, who is founder of a legal assistance center, three Rwandan opposition activists, and two Iranian human rights activists.
- Turkey's position on Hagia Sophia aimed at boosting domestic ratings, regretful - Slutsky 10 July 2020, 21:47
- Revocation of Hagia Sophia's museum status a blow to Orthodox Christianity - Metropolitan Hilarion 10 July 2020, 19:50
- Russian Orthodox Church says turning Hagia Sophia into mosque will have consequences for all of humankind 10 July 2020, 19:21
- Decision on Hagia Sophia undermines Ankara's int'l authority - Kosachyov 10 July 2020, 18:31
- Russian Orthodox Church regrets Turkey's failure to heed millions of Christians' concerns about status of Hagia Sophia 10 July 2020, 17:03
- Kremlin has more important things to do than watch film on LGBT situation in Chechnya - Peskov 10 July 2020, 16:59
- Georgian Patriarchate concerned about Turkish authorities' idea of making Hagia Sophia mosque 10 July 2020, 10:36
- Russians become more loyal to marriages with non-Christians 08 July 2020, 12:14
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08