27 September 2012, 10:04
Russian Church spokesman: proposed harsher punishment for insults to religious feelings essential
Moscow, September 27, Interfax - A senior Russian Orthodox priest has defended a planned law to introduce stricter punishment for insulting the religious feelings of believers and vandalizing holy sites.
"It's obvious that many in our society have been waiting for such an initiative. Except for several small but hyperactive elitist groups, it has developed a wide-scale consensus that present-day punishments for insulting the feelings of believers, objects, signs and emblems that they revere, and symbols of various world outlooks are patently insufficient," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, head of the Synodal Department for Relations between Church and Society, told the Interfax-Religion.
Today such offenses are punishable with fines from 500 to 1,000 rubles, he mentioned.
Insulting believers' feelings, vandalizing holy sites and items that are venerated by adherents of any religion or supporters of any non-religious world outlook "is an act of utter public danger, which sets large strata of society against each other," Chaplin said.
He mentioned that history records quite many bloody conflicts over symbols.
"When someone topples a symbol that is very dear to and very significant for a religious or world outlook group, it means an attack on this entire group, an attempt to assert one's power over it, subjugate and humiliate it. Therefore a war against symbols always produces a very pained reaction, and one should remember that," he said.
He mentioned that Russian law prescribes harsh penalties for non-religious offense and for vandalizing non-religious items. He cited ethnic and racial insults and vandalizing state symbols and graves.
"But believers have exactly the same right to the defense of something that is infinitely dear to them - after all, we have equality of world outlooks and of world outlook groups," he said.
"By the way, it's not bad that the draft law would offer a court quite a wide freedom of choice between a fairly mild and a pretty harsh penalty. Of course, in enforcing such a rule, a court must carefully investigate the circumstances of the case, study the motives, hear both the prosecution and the defense, take it into account whether this is the first time one has committed such an act. So the range of penalties that is being proposed would provide extensive opportunities both for clemency and for strictness," the priest added.
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01