01 October 2012, 10:19
Nearly 40% of Russians justify Islamic anger with Innocence of Muslims - poll
Moscow, October 1, Interfax - 62% of Russians are aware of the Innocence of Muslims scandalous film released in the United States. 33% of them have heard a lot about the film, and 6% are monitoring the situation closely, the Levada Center told Interfax.
39% of the respondents learned about the film in the poll of 1,601 persons in 45 regions of Russia on September 21-24.
44% of the respondents said they wanted to see that film, and 47% refused to do that.
39% of the respondents said that Islamic protests against the film were founded, 27% said it would be hard to call the protests founded, and 11% said that the protests had no excuse. 23% of the respondents could not answer the question.
56% agreed that "it served right the Americans, who bore consequences of the Arab Spring they had inspired." 18% expressed a different opinion.
Russians were divided over the refusal of the YouTube management to remove the video from the video hosting site. 40% sided with the YouTube position, 41% opposed it, and 29% could not answer the question.
The Innocence of Muslims film triggered a series of protests throughout the Islamic world. There were pogroms and burning of the U.S. flag.
The Russian Prosecutor General's Office said it was determined to ban the film distribution in the country. The access to YouTube has been blocked repeatedly in various regions of Russia. Pavel Durov, the owner and founder of the Vkontakte social network, removed the film from the social network on September 27 without waiting for court hearings on the film's ban to begin.
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30