01 October 2012, 10:19
Nearly 40% of Russians justify Islamic anger with Innocence of Muslims - poll
Moscow, October 1, Interfax - 62% of Russians are aware of the Innocence of Muslims scandalous film released in the United States. 33% of them have heard a lot about the film, and 6% are monitoring the situation closely, the Levada Center told Interfax.
39% of the respondents learned about the film in the poll of 1,601 persons in 45 regions of Russia on September 21-24.
44% of the respondents said they wanted to see that film, and 47% refused to do that.
39% of the respondents said that Islamic protests against the film were founded, 27% said it would be hard to call the protests founded, and 11% said that the protests had no excuse. 23% of the respondents could not answer the question.
56% agreed that "it served right the Americans, who bore consequences of the Arab Spring they had inspired." 18% expressed a different opinion.
Russians were divided over the refusal of the YouTube management to remove the video from the video hosting site. 40% sided with the YouTube position, 41% opposed it, and 29% could not answer the question.
The Innocence of Muslims film triggered a series of protests throughout the Islamic world. There were pogroms and burning of the U.S. flag.
The Russian Prosecutor General's Office said it was determined to ban the film distribution in the country. The access to YouTube has been blocked repeatedly in various regions of Russia. Pavel Durov, the owner and founder of the Vkontakte social network, removed the film from the social network on September 27 without waiting for court hearings on the film's ban to begin.
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- Court bans gay pride parades, other unofficial events in Kiev on May 25 23 May 2013, 17:37
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06