08 October 2012, 10:02
Putin deems fair Pussy Riot sentence
Vladivostok, October 8, Interfax - Three Pussy Riot punk musicians sentenced to two years for their action at the Moscow Christ the Savior Cathedral got what they wanted, President Vladimir Putin said in a film aired by the Central Television program of the NTV channel on Sunday.
"Their arrest was right and their sentence was right. One must not erode moral fundamentals and undermine the country. What will be left without that?" Putin wondered.
The performers must have known that "this is our last stronghold," he said.
"My first reaction was to apologize to the believers for what they did; I thought that would be the end of it," the president said. But the case was opened and "the court heard it and sentenced them to two years."
"I have nothing to do with that. They got what they asked for," he said.
Putin asked whether program anchor Vadim Takmenev knew how the punk band's name was translated. Takmenev said he knew but could not say that on television.
"You see, you cannot say that aloud; these girls must be talented; they forced the whole world to pronounce that word," Putin said.
Takmenev recalled that the girls were sentenced for the incitement to religious hatred but they claimed it was a protest against the patriarch and the president.
"As you know and as the experts confirmed, everything concerning the president was a later addition; they said nothing like that in the Cathedral," Putin said.
"I do not know if it is so or not. But if it is, then it was a way to catch attention and a way to defend themselves, as if they were engaged in politics rather than simply committed an act of hooliganism and defiled the Cathedral," the president said.
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54
- Russia's going back to death penalty would only make jihadist suicide bombers laugh - head of human rights council 20 November 2015, 14:43
- Mufti Tajuddin supports idea of introducing death penalty for terrorists 20 November 2015, 14:40
- Rights activists oppose idea of going back to death penalty for terrorists in Russia 20 November 2015, 13:55
- Russian Muslims support idea of global anti-terrorist coalition - head of Russian Council of Muftis 20 November 2015, 13:33
- Head of Tatarstan's State Council speaks against identifying Islam with terrorism 20 November 2015, 12:57
- Russian Orthodox Church believes intl coalition needed to fight terrorism 20 November 2015, 12:34
- Kremlin proceeds from moratorium on death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 12:24
- Requiem services for the White Army officers to be held in Russia, Europe and the USA to commemorate the 95th anniversary of their exodus from Crimea 20 November 2015, 10:00
- Former private from Bashkortostan jailed for five years for membership in Hizb ut-Tahrir 19 November 2015, 10:14
- Russian Church blesses Russia, France to fight terrorism together 18 November 2015, 17:06
- Victims of Paris terrorist attacks are commemorated in Orthodox churches in France 18 November 2015, 10:17
- Moldovan special services arrest Syrian on suspicion of recruiting young men for IS 18 November 2015, 10:09
- Head of Caucasus Muslim Board accuses certain heads of state in supporting terrorism 17 November 2015, 10:08
- Terrorism must not be associated with any religion or ethnic group - G20 statement 16 November 2015, 17:16
- Russian Jewish community calls for Hezbollah, Hamas to be declared terrorist organizations 16 November 2015, 17:05