Moscow, May 26, Interfax - The attack on a bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact the dates when flights between Russia and Egypt could be resumed, as Russia continues to have concerns about the safety of tourists' travel between hotels and airports, a source familiar with the situation told Interfax.
"Besides the mandatory safety requirements on the territory of airports, whose fulfillment still raises some questions, Russia is concerned about the safety of tourist logistics," the source said.
"The attack on the bus carrying Christians showed how weakly protected the transport infrastructure in Egypt is. We cannot allow Russian tourists to come under such an attack en route from their resort destinations to airports. The routes should be well-thought out and safety on them should be provided at the highest level. Of course, this situation will not add anything positive to the process of resuming transport communication with Egypt," the source said.
The Arab television channel Al Arabiya reported earlier that 35 people had been killed as gunmen attacked two buses carrying Coptic Christians in the Egyptian governorate of Minya.